• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] Complete ZTE Merit Guide: Root, Flash Recovery and Install New ROM (with links)

You need the phone specific drivers for adb. As for stock ROMs... I may be able to help ;)...

ARM 1.0

It's stall a beta ROM, but it is stock 2.3.5.
So how do we find out the phones specific drivers then.
I am presuming that the drivers would have changed after we did recovery and flashed the ROM?
If not are they not the same as the drivers we started with before we did this mod?

One more thing the link you posted what is it for I cant tell as the link is broken or something?

Upvote 0
So how do we find out the phones specific drivers then.
I am presuming that the drivers would have changed after we did recovery and flashed the ROM?
If not are they not the same as the drivers we started with before we did this mod?

One more thing the link you posted what is it for I cant tell as the link is broken or something?

Yeah I also was am not able to connect via USB after switching roms. I downloaded the avail drivers, but it still didn't work. Although I must admit I didn't spend much time on it.

Upvote 0
Ok So where are the drivers needed to repeat the Recovery and Rom steps of this tech please?
Ah Ok I have just now found what I was looking for myself accidentally I hit restore from recovery mode on the phone thank god I did a back up of my original setup I am now back to stock that was easy and now all I have to do is repeat these steps again but after I find out how to keep what I want from my original setup... anyone care to lend a hand on this task please?
the Items I want to copy over.
web browser
photo gallery
Well I cant remember what else there was but I will think of it later on and edit this when I do. :)

Upvote 0
Ok Now this gets annoying to have to re install every app back onto my sd card every time I do a different flash of the ROM I see there in the one.three zip there are the apps that come with in there if I was to transfer my apps to the same folder in that zip would those apps be installed automaticaly?

I didn't have to reinstall when I upgraded roms, bit I did have to relink every app and had to reboot a bunch of times due to memory errors. As long as you don't delete the cache and reset, you can do it. Its probably easier to reinstall them though since the phone takes a while to boot during that process.

That's the one thing that I don't like about android. If the phone didn't come with so little memory allocated to apps, I wouldn't have to bother with linking. I really don't understand why these phones ship with such a pathetically small app memory allocation. I don't need multi gigs of storage for media, but I certainly need more than 100 meg of app space. Just makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0
SOMEONE DELETE THIS THREAD...

there are more people having problems trying to follow the directions the one who started this thread posted than there are who are getting it right...

this thread should have been deleted from the get go

USE THIS THREAD FOR ROOTING INSTRUCTIONS--THIS IS THE GUY WHO GOT ROOT IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR ZTE MERIT Z990G (tracfone, straight talk)--DON'T USE THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE AS THEY ARE NOT AS CLEAR AS WHAT JCASE POSTED

http://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/566407-root-zte-z990g-merit-avail-variant.html

Upvote 0
Ok well just to be clear and clear everyone else up here I did have problems from this threads rooting steps and I did use this link [ROOT] ZTE z990g Merit (An avail variant?) to complete the root process but came back to this thread to complete the other steps in here which all have worked ok for me after a bit of deciphering. I think if I hadn't found this thread though I would not have found the proper threads or the original owner of the tech.

Upvote 0
I rooted my ZTE Merit and loaded the one.three.zip file. I did the factory restore before loading the zip file. Everything took fine, but now my APN is set to AT&T and not my straighttalk. So I am only able to recieve calls now. I also tried connecting to wifi and I could not even do that. Please someone help...

Upvote 0
woke up to a dead phone this am. Don't know if it had anything to do with rooting it or not. Rooted zte merit 2 weeks ago left stock rom on it and everything was fine till this morning left it on the charger all night and woke up to a phone that wouldn't turn on or anything. Took it back to walmart and exchanged it for a new one now to root all over again.

Upvote 0
woke up to a dead phone this am. Don't know if it had anything to do with rooting it or not. Rooted zte merit 2 weeks ago left stock rom on it and everything was fine till this morning left it on the charger all night and woke up to a phone that wouldn't turn on or anything. Took it back to walmart and exchanged it for a new one now to root all over again.
Sounds like you might have cook the battery I noticed that mine gets very hot now when charging and will actually stop charging when it does. when I leave mine on charge over nite now I stick it in from of my fan beside the bed that way it dont over heat not saying this is actually what happened or if this is something to do with the mod or not though. Hope you have better luck with the new phone.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones