1. cwwilson721

cwwilson721 Well-Known Member

Yep!

Was said it couldn't be done.

Well, here it is: A CWM 6 recovery for the Z990

------------------------------------

Temporary CWM (No root needed)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72935938/cwm-6-temp-update.zip

Copy the above file to your sdcard (not in a folder), rename it as 'update.zip'

Can be flashed by stock recovery and by other CWM recoveries.

Your phone reverts to your regular recovery when restarted.

------------------------------------

Permanent (Requires root)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72935938/cwm-6-recovery.img

Copy the above to your sdcard

Start an adb shell or your terminal

Type:
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    2. flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwm-6-recovery.img
    3. reboot recovery
    -----------------------------------

*** Some options do not work, most to do with 'new' things that CWM put in. I'm working on a solution ****
    This is a Work In Progress [WIP]
    Nothing 'edited' out. Just not there
    Considering that we've been told that this can't be done...I HAD to do it.

Leave comments. I'm always glad to help. Not everyone knows everything, and I won't yell at you for not knowing things...

-----------------------------------

As always:

Not responsible for bricked phones, going bald, or your cat riding on your ceiling fan.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Advertisement
    kingmt and out of ideas like this.
  2. out of ideas

out of ideas Well-Known Member

No kidding. I was just thinking about cwm6. Nice work. Tried the temp flash already. Works fine.

Edit.....yeah this is pretty awesome. Hope you can get the new features going. Put the permanent one on with terminal. Works great.
  3. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

Cool. I'll give it a try later.
    bandb likes this.
  4. bandb

bandb New Member

will not root my merit . everything loads fine with "Temporary CWM (No root needed)" but the phone is not rooted after.

ADB just crashes when i try to use it on my pc for reasons unknown to me and i have no idea what a "terminal" is .
  5. out of ideas

No this won't root out. But you should be able to load a rooted cwm image or update zip.
  6. out of ideas

No this won't root out. But you should be able to load a rooted cwm image or update zip.
  7. bandb

bandb New Member

nvm , used a friends pc and ADB . did it the hard way "jcase" and am now rooted .
  8. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

Is there still a link for a rooted nandroid or do we need to get another one up?

Thanks CW. I've tried the recovery. It works great. Keep up the good work.
  9. out of ideas

My deodexed stock Rom is the same thing. Out of the box stock but now you can theme it easier.

I'm also uploading a rooted and not rooted.
  10. Killmaster

Killmaster Member

I flashed no problem and it looked like it worked but GO Launcher looks like it removed everything that CWM6 had changed. I deleted the original launcher on the phone so I could just use GO Launcher and free-up some space. Is there a way to make sure it flashed correctly so I can flash a new ROM as ROM Manager still tells me I need to flash Clockwork Recovery.
  11. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

Don't use ROM Manager on any unsupported device. You can break things that way.
  12. Killmaster

Killmaster Member

So I should just flash them using ADB or is there another app that would work for the Merit?
  13. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

ADB works, or a terminal emulator.
  14. out of ideas

1.5 gave md5 errors for every backup i made on it. Went back to 1.2 and it's normal.
  15. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

this versions doesn't mount usb storage either...

error message removed to deceive users as though it does work...
  16. benwalburn

benwalburn Well-Known Member

Can I use this to root my girlfriend's merit? Flash the temp cwm, then use it to flash a zip containing su? If so, I can then remove the file that flashes the stock recovery at boot and stick with cwm, right?
  17. out of ideas

Don't use this one. It makes questionable backups and corrupted my ext partition.

There's a zip for cwm 5. Use that.

Then when your rooted you could just use terminal emulator to flash permanent cewm.
  18. benwalburn

I can't find a working link to cwm5 here. Looks like the dev removed them.

Edit:
    I found an image that someone mirrored. I'll have to make sure about my gf's carrier though. But she isn't rooted yet and it's just the image. Is this cwm acceptable for only rooting the merit? I was thinking of using the temp cwm to flash supersu, then flashing cwm5 through terminal
  19. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

There is a update.zip CWM at Androidarea51.com along with everything else you need & live support.
    benwalburn likes this.
  20. out of ideas

You could always just root it the original way with ad. Just pushes su and leaves the data and everything alone.
  21. benwalburn

she doesn't have access to a computer and due to the circumstances, I can't do it for her
  22. out of ideas

Ahh I got ya. Then yeah that works.
  23. cwwilson721

cwwilson721 Well-Known Member

Elsewhere in this forum there is a post about a CWM you CAN download (links provided)
    http://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/656998-cwm-usbmount-abd-kernel-ext4-swap-rom.html