• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] [ROOT] update.zip [ROOT]

Okay so I rooted my phone thanks to stayboggy and jcase. THANK YA VERY MUCH!!
Installed root checker and super user. But now I have no idea how to get rid of the garbage apps. I see the thread of ones to get rid of by "out of ideas". but "file explorer", "enable root browsing"
I'm not seeing anything like that anywhere.
Please help
Thanks for the help so far it is def appreciated

Upvote 0
stayboogy- I registered on this site to thank you. It's 12:47 am and I have spent roughly 3 hours trying to figure out how to root my merit until I came upon your post. I am probably one of the few college girls who is not constantly on their phone but the storage was horrible since the phone would not allow me to move apps to SD card. all I can say is thank you for the video tutorial and the zip file...did it all in minutes and now Im off to download a root app that will make it easy for me to move apps to my SD card. I can't thank you enough! :)

Upvote 0
stayboogy- I registered on this site to thank you. It's 12:47 am and I have spent roughly 3 hours trying to figure out how to root my merit until I came upon your post. I am probably one of the few college girls who is not constantly on their phone but the storage was horrible since the phone would not allow me to move apps to SD card. all I can say is thank you for the video tutorial and the zip file...did it all in minutes and now Im off to download a root app that will make it easy for me to move apps to my SD card. I can't thank you enough! :)

i'm glad it helped you.

thank you.

Upvote 0
I noticed that finally got updated. good move.

If we had this and anthony's partition SD card threads stickied separately, i think it would cut down on the same questions over and over. But then we wouldn't have as much activity.

Except of course for these weird full person name users turbo posting to factory reset.;)

Upvote 0
I noticed that finally got updated. good move.

If we had this and anthony's partition SD card threads stickied separately, i think it would cut down on the same questions over and over. But then we wouldn't have as much activity.

Except of course for these weird full person name users turbo posting to factory reset.;)

People will always be lazy and ask before reading. With or without separate stickies.

Upvote 0
Im a total Noob. Don't know how to start with step #1!!!! This zte merit is a nightmare. Can someone please let me know how to copy to root of sdcard? I dont understand what Im suppose to copy. Am I understanding correctly, that the root zip should be downloaded with a computer then copy to phone using a usb cable?

Upvote 0
The root of the SD Card is the top most folder on the card. It basically means that when you open the card, you don't enter any sub folders at all. You simply copy the file to the folder that you are already in.
Thanks, I was able to get to the SD card. When I press on the sd card several folders or files appear. I dont know what file to copy to the folder Im in. When I keep the sd card pressed down I get options: select, rename, delete and properties. Do I rename the sd card?? How do I download update zip??

Upvote 0
Download it with your computer from the link in the first post.

Connect to the computer with your usb cable.

open sdcard on computer you'll see some folders and files, thats fine.

now copy the update.zip and just put in there with the other files and folders.(so when you open up /SDCARD you will now see Update.zip in their with the other stuff)

Then follow the directions.

Upvote 0
hi, i downloaded the app on my laptop, saved it to my phone through a USB cord, and it was named "update.zip" without parentheses, my problem is when i go in to android system recovery and press "wipe data/factory reset" it doesn't install my update file, instead it says:
-- install from sdcard. . .
Finding update package. . .
Opening update package. . .
verifying update package. . .
E:Failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip (is a directory)
E:signature verification failed installation aborted.

Upvote 0
No, you don't have to. But if you'd like to go back to stock you can do a factory reset.
Yay!! I've rooted my merit phone. It wasn't as hard as a I thought it would be thanks to everyone whose had a hand in helping me. A special thanks to stayboogy for the video link. It was a big help. Now that I'm rooted how do I delete apps such as Facebook, Orkut, Tweeter etc?? I tried to remove these apps in manage apps but there is no option to delete and those apps dont appear in the root or sd card??? Im probably doing something wrong. HELP!

Upvote 0
.... Now that I'm rooted how do I delete apps such as Facebook, Orkut, Tweeter etc?? I tried to remove these apps in manage apps but there is no option to delete and those apps dont appear in the root or sd card??? Im probably doing something wrong. HELP!

Easiest way it to download a root level file explorer (I use ES File Explorer, but theres other good ones too).

Go into settings of the ES, enable all the root settings and save it. make your way to /system/app. Then delete what you want.

Upvote 0
Need some direction. Downloaded and installed update.zip just fine without incident. Downloaded and installed Superuser but when I launch SU I get a notification that the binary is out of date, then gives me option to install. Upon selecting to install I get an error message. Any advice???? Thanks in advance !~T

Update: Okay, I installed su update fixer. When I attempt it, it tells me that Superuser doesn't appear to be installed. "Checking Signatures....Fail". Need help.

Upvote 0
THE SUPERIOR ROOT METHOD

10,000+ downloads and counting

Attachments

• 10000.png
    10000.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones