[Merit] ZTE Merit

Last Updated:

1. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

I used jcase's adb instructions to successfully gain ROOT access to the zte merit straighttalk cell phone. (Much PROPS to JCase!)

Question: I wanted to know instructions/or how to get clockworkmod installed onto the rooted merit. (Or is there a better way to make a backup of the phone.) I know the app is downloadable at the market but it costs and not sure if it will even work. And would it reset the rom back to stock by installing it?
    (I'm sure I could find an .apk file floating around somewhere of it.)
    Any answers are much appreciated!

2. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

Clockworkmod recovery

:D I need a tester anyways... If it doesn't work, then that link will lead to anthony062991's method.
    SquidlyMcNerd likes this.
  3. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Is there any ROM for this phone floating around anywhere? Like CM7 or CM9 not sure if they will work for this phone or not. I have it on the HTC aria. But need a slimmed down ROM for the ZTE Merit!
    Any ideas?

4. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

I will try it but............
    How do you enter factory recovery with this phone? On my HTC Aria you just hold down the power button and the volume down at the same time and it goes into factory recovery.
    Any help on this is much appreciated!

5. Motorhead1991

menu+vol up+power gets you into recovery mode. As for ROMS, I'm in the process of porting CM9 ICS to the Z990 (AT&T version). When you get Clockwork working, create a backup, then if you want, give my ROM a try, or the one.### series.
  6. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Ok that got me into system recovery menu but I don't see
    Select "apply update from sdcard".

There are only 3 options in my menu.
    :( How would I install that zip of clockwork if there is no option?

7. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Give my ROM a try or the one.### series??

Where are these located at?

Sorry another newbie question!

8. Motorhead1991

9. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Right on!!!!!!

Thanks a Million!!!!

Is there any way to back up contacts before doing a factory wipe/reset?

10. Motorhead1991

Go into contacts and click Import/Export and save then either to your SIMcard or your SD card.
  11. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

yeah, back them up to your sim card, or to your SD card.

press menu button when in contacts and choose import/export and export them to where you want
  12. Motorhead1991

Go into contacts and click Import/Export and save then either to your SIMcard or your SD card.
  13. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

Right on guys! Thanks!!!!

14. Noname4aday

Noname4aday Member

If I am to the jcase root for purposes of running much off sd, what are the GUI like on some of these other rom's? I don't really mind the rom my phone came with other than the crap I don't need and freeing up the CPU. I already got clockwork and and sdmover app. What else will I need before going ahead with the root? Thanks abunch
  15. Clout

Clout Member

16. Chud1

Chud1 Active Member

1.)Copy CM7 zip file onto the root of your SD Card.

2.)Hold down the menu button (far button on the left), volume up, and then hold in the power button. Hold in until the factory recovery menu comes up and release.

3.)Then goto install update from sd card.

4.)Select CM7 and let her eat!

Reboot phone and enjoy!

17. Clout

Clout Member

yep lol, i tried that button boot didnt work so i put the recovery.img on and button booted and it worked !! so had 2 cm7.zip files and a way in. i folowed instal vids on cm7 both xip files said they were bad and now its bricked lol i can still buton boot though, although there is no os to boot to for restart. i posted in the compleste guide post as well my be a fix there just need a nood to see it will work
  18. Motorhead1991

Flash an aftermarket ROM to be able to reboot your phone. No one's ported CM7 to the Avail yet.
    Clout likes this.
  19. Clout

Clout Member

Well I bought the sd card read/write popped in the sd card, put the stock .zip on the card, reinserted the card in phone and button booted

I got a phone!! But with some weird stuff I never seen before apps and update for att and the phone now reads it
  20. Clout

Clout Member

And this all started because I didn’t follow directions,, 1 step I missed was nandroid back up in button boot up

Also, was at Walmart this morning and the end isle promotion in electronics was packed with z900G merit phones for straight talk, have a feeling alot more posts are going up
  21. SquidlyMcNerd

SquidlyMcNerd Well-Known Member

Don't know about anybody else but I had to order my Merit off the Straight Talk website.

It would be cool to just be able to walk into Walmart in the event of a bricking crisis.....heh heh.
  22. Motorhead1991

There's very little you can do to really cripple the device. As long as you have a backup and can access recovery mode, it's savable.
  23. Clout

Clout Member

Ok so phone is up and working, but cant leave it alone lol,
    Question it’s a merit and it runs gingerbread 2.3.5, so can it be updated to gingerbread 2.3.6 or 2.3.7 or further, or will the merits’ hardware not be able to handle it
  24. meatman45

meatman45 New Member

regarding the above posts, could someone explain to a dummy ( me, lol ) what ya'all mean about root access and ROM for the phone ? The walmart that I work in got a display of the AZT's. I bought one and the only gripe I have is the rapid battery discharge even with all items such as display, bluetooth, wi fi, GPS, etc turned off. In regards to the one post above about backup, I have my contacts backed up by Lockout app. Also I play gang wars. If I get another phone can I transfer my stats, etc to the new phone, or am i resigned to just start over ?? koool site here, indeed ! Laters.
  25. neutrontech

neutrontech Well-Known Member

I bought mine at Walmart. I've looked at a few of the walmarts around me and only ONE of them carries the Merrit, and it's the only Android Straight Talk phone that one carries. The other Walmarts near me carry different ones, but no Merrit.

However, I think I will be buying the GSM android phone they offer so I can run on Verizon's network. That one I have not found in stores yet.