[Merit] ZTE z990g Merit , Internal Space, SD card, Rooting

1. JustJoanie

JustJoanie Well-Known Member

2. JustJoanie

Phone is rooted.

System is backed up.

Link2SD is installed.
    I've been able to delete programs that came with phone, delete some programs and reinstall to SD card... ( I still can't move things to SD card without removing and installing again, maybe there is a way?) I'm getting more internal space..YAY !

Still haven't done the partition, I did see that option in clockworkmod... waiting till I know for sure what to do there... i'm probably making that harder than it is, but I don't touch anything until i'm sure :)

I hope this thread has helped others as much as it helped me.
    Again, Ty to all of you who jumped in and helped.
  3. redfield88

redfield88 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a job well done, as for moving things to the sd you simply click on them with link2sd and move them to sd card. Pretty simple, however there is a few you may have to uninstall and reinstall for this to work.

You can also delete defaul ringtones and notifications to free internal space. If you feel up to it i can walk you through when i get off work tonight.
  4. JustJoanie

I notice on the Link2SD, if it's a program I have installed it will let me move to SD ...but a no go on apps that came on phone...(which is fine, I can delete and install any of those i'd like to keep)

I also looked at the list of apps you could remove safely in this thread you posted
    http://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/594225-no-need-new-rom-space-performance.html
    I notice they have music2.apk listed as ok to remove, isn't that one of the music things I was told not to delete in this thread? So, i'm being very careful with this list.

Yes, I would love your help in removing ring tones and such :)
  5. redfield88

If you're still using Rom Toolbox then it'll be pretty simple to remove these default sounds / ringtones.

Code (Text):
    2. 1. Run ROM Toolbox.
    3. 2. Select "Root Explorer"
    4. 3. Scroll down and select "system"
    5. 4. Scroll down and select "media"
    6. 5. Now select "audio"
    7. 6. Select "ringtones"
    All the default ringtones can be deleted.
    You can repeat this same process for deleting default "notification". However, For the notification sounds I suggest you leave the following on your phone.:
    Code (Text):
    2. F1_MissedCall.ogg
    3. F1_New_MMS.ogg
    4. F1_New_SMS.ogg
    To my knowledge you can't change the first two, so removing them will leave you without notifications when you get MMS's and Missed Calls. I also left New_SMS because I personally use it for my default SMS. However, It can be removed if you don't use the default sms sound.

If you'd like to remove the annoying StaightTalk music when you first turn on your phone, follow these steps:
    Code (Text):
    2. 1. Run ROM Toolbox.
    3. 2. Select "Root Explorer"
    4. 3. Scroll down and select "system"
    5. 4. Scroll down and select "media"
    6. 5. Now select "audio"
    7. 6. Select "ui"
    The file you want to delete (or rename, I simply renamed mine and left it on the phone.) Bootsound.mp3. I renamed mine to Bootsound.mp3.bak

As for Music2.apk leave it. Some say it breaks certain things, Though I had mine removed for days and didn't notice anything broke. I recently restored it back on my phone just in case.
  6. JustJoanie

Well, I have Link2SD and have been using that, so I should install Rom Toolbox too?
  7. redfield88

You dont need too. Any file manager with root access will do. I recremend rom toolbox for the simple fact that its a ton of root tools all in one.
  8. JustJoanie

who is the developer of that app? looking for it
  9. redfield88

10. JustJoanie

11. redfield88

12. JustJoanie

13. redfield88

14. JustJoanie

15. redfield88

16. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

Rom Manager will BRICK your phone. Hope I wasn't too late, just saw your previous ^^^ post.
  17. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

To partition you use CWM, BUT...it WIPES THE SD. There is a thread to partition the SD with CWM that should be read through before starting as there are settings you need in it. Ill bump the thread up.
  18. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

CWM wont work for a 32G card. it will make it useable but there is a lot of the card left unusable.
  19. valueforvalue

valueforvalue Well-Known Member

Russ71 likes this.
  20. JustJoanie

I did install Rom Manager , but never used it and deleted it.... (Can you explain what brick my phone is? ) Everything seems to be working ok...
  21. JustJoanie

OK, at this point I don't have it partitioned *sighs* Really don't know what to do, Sure don't want to screw up anything...
  22. JustJoanie

I've read so much info on partioning and I seem to get so much conflicting info.....really not sure what to do

Maybe just not patition it?
  23. JustJoanie

24. JustJoanie

Thanks, I will check this out.
  25. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

CWM will work for 4g maybe bigger but I can't get the cards to work in my PC after that. I have yet to get the free tools that everyone else uses to partition for me. I've done it on hard drives & SD cards for years but I can't get it on the micros. I think link2SD will do it tho. You really need it partitioned to get full use out of this app. If you don't the app is just a waste of space.