Merry Christmas early for Droid Tether!

Last Updated:

1. scoobysnack

scoobysnack Well-Known Member

I was happy to see that we can already Tether our Droids to our laptops etc. Of course I really want Wifi Tether but this method is free and super easy to install. Enjoy!!

-Scoob:)

PdaNet -- Use your Android as a USB Modem

Advertisement
  2. cyberranger

cyberranger Active Member

Awesome! And a nice price for the software.
  3. scoobysnack

I just selected the free option and it works perfect!
  4. travva

travva Well-Known Member

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

You 'tether' your laptop to your phone nad use it as a modem, so your laptop can use your phone's internet connection to get online. It is used primarily in areas where there is little WiFi availability, but other reasons to do so include when in a moving vehicle (and no MiFI thingy), when you want to increase your security (open WiFI hotspots can be very very bad to your system if someone is trying to be malicious), etc.
  6. galt

galt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up !!
  7. travva

travva Well-Known Member

john i understand the premise of tethering completely and i definitely understand the implications of using hot-spots for secure sessions, but i don't get what was meant by wifi tethering. to me that means having your phone connected via wifi and sharing that connection via your laptop. that seems stupid since you could just bypass your phone and connect to wi-fi with your laptop?
  8. johnlgalt

Nope - b/c modern laptops not only have a WiFi card they have a second card to allow creation of WiFi access points hence the desire for WiFi tethering.
  9. travva

travva Well-Known Member

john, it's late so forgive me for being dense here. can you give me a hypothetical scenario where wifi tethering would happen and how the connection would be shared etc? sorry i know i'm making this more complicated than it should be....
  10. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

No way im paying 30bucks plus the extra 15 from verizon to use a laptop. The droid is good enough for me alone.
  11. johnlgalt

I haven't tried it myself, so I am not sure of the details - but since folks are trying it they should probably be the ones to answer.

I am not trying to be obtuse, I personally don't see a need for it myself....but if it can be done more power to those that do need it.
  12. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Wifi tethering requires root access first of all, so we'll have to wait on that.

In essence, it changes your phone into a Mifi. You take your cellular signal, and then use the phone's wireless card to broadcast as an access point.

This is really nice because all sorts of devices can connect, such as iPod Touches, etc.
  13. johnlgalt

There we go. Answered.
  14. scoobysnack

Really the benefit to WIFI tether is to not have to pay for an "Air" Card. I personally live in the boondocks so WIFI access points are not as readily available as they may be where you live. So while I'm driving if I take a clients call it is important that I have access to the internet wherever I am .

hope that makes a little more sense.

-Scoob
  15. ddarvish

ddarvish Well-Known Member

i cant wait till they root the driod... so many things one can do!
  16. ChrisK15

ChrisK15 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I missed it, but with this program, do you have to pay for the extra tethering service through Verizon or does it do it without them knowing?
  17. JonKyu

JonKyu Well-Known Member

Would like to know also

This WiFi tethering (thanks for the explanation, I've never heard of WiFi tethering) thing is sounding super awesome.
  18. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

No, you do not have to pay the extra service fee, which I might add, isn't even available yet anyways.

However, you run the risk of being caught by Verizon and punished.
  19. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

The tethering has been very buggy lately.

I'm hoping it's weather related.
  20. zebroid1

zebroid1 Member

Does PDAnet have Mac software?
  21. audiofx

audiofx Member

No hence I want a widow tether hack or app
  22. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

laptop <---wifi---> phone <----3G-----> internets

------------------------------------------------->
  23. soundman

soundman Member

I have been tethering my droid to computer for the past couple of days now through PDAnet. It works great. Has anyone been able to get ICS running and working with this? I might be crazy, but I'm trying to be able to connect to xbox live from a shared connection.
  24. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Had you mentioned in another thread that your connection was dropping? Fortunately I haven't experienced this more than once or twice since I started tethering. Although, I did notice that since it's been raining (the remnants of Ida are pouring down in Raleigh right now), the connection has been a little more sluggish.

[​IMG]

Still not too bad though. How is your signal strength? I'm getting -83dBm
  25. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, I'm 89dbm but after watching for a moment it went as low as 73 dbm

Also, I'm using PdaNet 2.01 which is BETA, how about you?

And I've had to restart PdaNetabout 4 times in 15 minutes.

Tomorrow I will be tethering from a different location so that should provide some answers.