Merry Christmas Virus Icon!

Last Updated:

1. Saraein

Saraein Member

On my homescreen today I noticed a small icon with the words "Merry Christmas" on it. I believe it was a picture of santa claus.

I clicked on it and it disappeared.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what it actually is.

Thanks for the help.

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I have no idea what this is, are you sure you don't have an app somewhere that just sent out a greeting like that? I have heard of apps doing that, of course, this greeting does nothing and like you said, merely swiped away into nothingness.
  3. Saraein

Saraein Member

I thought when I clicked on the icon, it would bring up the app that sent it, but when nothing happened I got curious to what it actually was.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Yeah that is completely understandable but what i said is probably what it ended up to be, just a greeting from an app that when clicked does nothing, nothing really surprising though, i know a few apps that do that.
    Mikestony and Saraein like this.
  5. Saraein

Saraein Member

Well I guess I'll just leave it at that then. No need to get worried I suppose.

Thanks for your help!
  6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Your phone is now infected with jolly good cheer from Santa Claus himself :)
    Nah, really, that is the first I heard of something like that, and like DC said, could be an app doing that so don't worry about it if nothing is acting wonky atm :)
  7. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

If you get other unexplained things, try installing Addons Detector and scanning your phone for apps using Push notifications/advertising.

Though as you'd imagine, push ads tend to be less obscure than that :)
    Mikestony likes this.