1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Merry Christmas Virus Icon!

1. Saraein

Saraein Member

Hi

On my homescreen today I noticed a small icon with the words "Merry Christmas" on it. I believe it was a picture of santa claus.

I clicked on it and it disappeared.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what it actually is.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I have no idea what this is, are you sure you don't have an app somewhere that just sent out a greeting like that? I have heard of apps doing that, of course, this greeting does nothing and like you said, merely swiped away into nothingness.
  3. Saraein

Saraein Member

I thought when I clicked on the icon, it would bring up the app that sent it, but when nothing happened I got curious to what it actually was.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Yeah that is completely understandable but what i said is probably what it ended up to be, just a greeting from an app that when clicked does nothing, nothing really surprising though, i know a few apps that do that.
    Mikestony and Saraein like this.
  5. Saraein

Saraein Member

Well I guess I'll just leave it at that then. No need to get worried I suppose.

Thanks for your help!
  6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Your phone is now infected with jolly good cheer from Santa Claus himself :)
    Nah, really, that is the first I heard of something like that, and like DC said, could be an app doing that so don't worry about it if nothing is acting wonky atm :)
  7. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

If you get other unexplained things, try installing Addons Detector and scanning your phone for apps using Push notifications/advertising.

Though as you'd imagine, push ads tend to be less obscure than that :)
    Mikestony likes this.