• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mesmerize to Electrify

kmf

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
Northeast Iowa
Well, I made the switch today from my Mesmerize to the Motorola Electrify. So far, an amazingly fast phone. I have not had a chance to explore all of its capabilities yet, but so far, so good. My wife gets the Mes, which will be a very nice upgrade from her Acclaim.

So, I will not be paying quite as much attention to the Mesmerize forum as in the past. Being a part of the wealth of information and support these past few months has been great and appreciated. Hopefully, I will see your posts soon in the Electrify forum?! Best of luck and thanks.:)

I'm tempted, that's for sure. I'm willing to wait and see how it rolls out, so I'll definitely be reading your posts in the Electrify forum. If its just a much faster hot mess than the Mez, I'll stick with this one for a little longer and see what is in store in 2012.

I may even consider an iPhone if USCC picks them up.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's the network, he is with Sprint. That may be the problem..lol

Almost assuredly the problem... I had Sprint's Photon (same phone), and it was AWFUL. The hardware was amazing, but the service was horrible. If you check their forums, Sprint's network is abysmal, and so is their customer service. Nobody actually knows what's going on, because communication down the line is non-existent.

More to the point of this thread, I hope to do the same. Dump the wife's Acclaim, give her the Mez, and get me an Electrify. Though the Mez honestly is still a great phone.

Upvote 0
My boss recently dumped his Mez for the Electrify. So far he likes it a lot. I've played with it for a few minutes and it is hands down much faster than the Mez.

But the Mez screen is still waaaaaaay better.

I don't see enough of a "wow" factor difference to make the switch, tbh. I'll wait for the other new phones coming out in 1Q '12 and see what those look like. I'd even be open to looking at the "Mez 2" or whatever they call the Galaxy S 2, assuming they bring one to USCC.

Upvote 0
well after all the news yesterday the Galaxy Nexus is a contender but I am bothered by the fact it doesn't have and SD card. I'm in the Milwaukee area so 4G speeds are coming 1Q as well.

Looks like me and the Mez will be friends for a few more months at least. Than again now that it's rooted and I've got full control I'm finding this phone fun again.

Upvote 0
Those of you getting 4G in the first quarter of '12, I envy you. Seeing as how Chicagoland is weighted down by iPhone users, we wont be seeing any of that delicious LTE until late '12. Being as it may, my choice to switch to the Electrify is more than satisfactory for me. Although Samsung has really broadened my knowledge on their technology (for the better), I know that Motorola offers phones with better radios than most other phones. Considering that the only constant issue I've had with the Mesmerize (other than the faulty Froyo upgrade) is the reception, upgrading to the Electrify will hopefully be what I'm looking for in my Android device.

Being a fan of the NVidia video card manufacturer, getting something with their name-brand under the hood really gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing. When I first heard of the dual-core Tegra 2 I nearly shat bricks. I had to have this phone.

It's not all for naught, however, as my fiancee who is currently packing a LG Optimus U (the biggest joke of smart phones ever) will be getting my Mesmerize as a nice free upgrade.

Aside from the CPU, I really look forward to the front-facing camera (another feature that spiked my interest). Not being an avid Skype user, I do have the intent to use the app more often with this phone. I have relatives out of country and it would be nice to talk to them 'face-to-face' again. Also, I want to use that new app that snaps a picture of someone trying to unlock your phone.

My only real concerns about the phone are 2 things; the display and the bloatware. If I'm not mistakened (which I probably am) I counted over 70 apps preloaded on to the Electrify. That's a lot of crapps (crap + apps = crapps). The screen, however, I'm having mixed feelings for. I absolutely love the AMOLED screen on the Mesmerize. The picture quality is absolutely beautiful. The Electrify, on the other hand, with a qHD display, I would expect it to have an equivilant, if not, better display than the AMOLED. From what I heard, it's no where near it.

There are plenty of pros with the Electrify, but there is also plenty of cons.

Upvote 0
Remember that with the Electrify you will be able to uninstall some of the bloatware, which will free up some memory. I agree that the screen resolution is not as nice, but it is more visible outdoors for calls , etc. And, for me, the reception is solid with the Electrify, so you will have a stronger signal most anywhere. The speed of the Electrify is "electrifying!" I have not had to do a "battery pull" since I've owned it...now one month. I am still pretty impressed. Best android that I have had thus far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones