• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Message to all Galaxy S Lurkers!!

Hi everyone.
I'm a new smartphone user. Just got my Galaxy S unlocked version less than a week ago. My prior phone was a LG Shine. I got the unlocked version (Samsung version?) because I don't like the bloatware and restrictions from US carrier phones. I'm on AT&T Mobility phone service. But my phone looks different from the Captivate, and from Sprint and Verizon versions. It looks most similar to the T-Mobile Vibrant, except for the bottom buttons.

I'm still learning how to use this phone, and didn't bother reading the User Manual that came with it. But I should have! On the first day, I couldn't figure out how to answer an incoming call. I kept pressing the green answer button. Now I know I'm suppose to sweep the button (thanks to the manual). DOH!

I haven't had the chance to try out the GPS yet. Wi-Fi seems to work fine.

All in all, I have a lot of learning and catching up to do. (ie. what is froyo, rooting, and all those new tekkie terms I'm unfamiliar with).

I'm glad I found this forum as it looks to have a lot of information.

DocTee

Upvote 0
I've Lurked and learned here. Don't ask me all the steps, they ALL can be found in this Forum.

I Lowered the IQ of my Galaxy S Smartphone

My Galaxy S is now "IPod Touch Like" with phone capability with the very important proviso that I'm in control of it. I'm happy with the phone now.

Not a novice to phones, but I am to the Android system.

The phone setup is EXACTLY what I was looking for:

1. AT&T pay as you go service. I paid almost full price for the phone to keep from having a contract. I pay by the minute, so I have to manage it. This option isn't for everyone. There are other options available.
2. APNs turned off, so no data via AT&T 3G.
3. Turned off AT&T browsing.
4. WiFi data connectivity only. You'd be surprised how many hotspots there are.
5. Rooted phone.
6. Android SDK installed onto computer
7. Samsung Kies installed on computer

Being new to Android, I spent a lot of time on this Forum and others to gather information.

Taking Root turned out to be so easy I didn't think it "took" at first. (But I had studied hard for days before I took the plunge.)

The most difficult issue for me was turning off the AT&T browsing. That was more hit and miss and reading from the Forum.

So now my phone isn't as smart as it wants to be, but at least it does just what "I" want it to do.

Regards
Steve

Upvote 0
First post in this forum. I'm new to android too. I had a good laugh at DocTee's problem answering the phone calls. Don't ask why. My Galaxy didn't come with a manual or DVD or anything except a url for tutorials. Talk about a fun first day! Doing better now. I have a question about permissions which come with the apps. Maybe someone can direct me to the right thread or answer here. My Google maps wants to do an update. No big deal, right? But the permissions the update wants makes me want to go hide in a cave. I've read other threads on this forum which advise us to be wary when an app wants permissions which don't seem to have anything to do with the job of the app. But I never thought of Google as some hacker trying to steal my personal info if you know what I mean. Am I just being too paranoid? Does the original Google map function already have all that info that the update wants? Any ideas?
Nice to meet y'all.
Best
Mike

Upvote 0
What is a lurker
Blank-Facepalm.gif

LOL, jk... i couldn't resist

Upvote 0
De-lurking from the Netherlands, although the lurking did not take long since I just signed up.

Anyway I've had this gorgeous Galaxy S for 2 weeks then left it in one of my shirts before it underwent a trip in the washing machine.. ouch :mad:
Needless to say that the phone was dead once I realised, after half an hour that it was indeed "being cleaned". Phone must have been on too before it was put in the washer.

I think I did all the right steps:
- immediately removed battery
- Put it in a bowl of dry rice for a few days
- disassembled the parts and with a toothbrush cleaned the parts
- used contact spray to remove erosion

Still the screen remains black. No life at all. I fear the motherboard is broken but a new one will cost me 220 euros here in Holland, which is too much compared to the price of the phone (500 euros). Also it does not guarantee me that there are no other parts broken as well.
Battery still works since I tried it in one of my friends' Galaxy S.

Who could give me any other suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones