• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messages App Problem Exists After Update

B

bronchial

I have yet to see this problem mentioned in this forum and it's very specific problem which is hard to describe but I will do my best.

Problem: Opening messages app takes me to my last conversation and auto-opens the softkeyboard.

I've found only one work-around for this. It goes as follows

Workaround: Start the Hero up and wait until you have at least 2 text messages. Open the notifications window and click the "new messages" notification. This will open up the messages app showing all conversations then click Home. Once doing this, no matter what you do, clicking the messages app will always take you to all conversations rather than the last conversation you had open.

If I access the first new text message, upon starting the phone, in any other manner than stated above I get the problem where after viewing a specific conversation and clicking Home, I open the messages app and it goes back to that specific conversation.

Any ideas?

I have yet to see this problem mentioned in this forum and it's very specific problem which is hard to describe but I will do my best.

Problem: Opening messages app takes me to my last conversation and auto-opens the softkeyboard.

I've found only one work-around for this. It goes as follows

Workaround: Start the Hero up and wait until you have at least 2 text messages. Open the notifications window and click the "new messages" notification. This will open up the messages app showing all conversations then click Home. Once doing this, no matter what you do, clicking the messages app will always take you to all conversations rather than the last conversation you had open.

If I access the first new text message, upon starting the phone, in any other manner than stated above I get the problem where after viewing a specific conversation and clicking Home, I open the messages app and it goes back to that specific conversation.

Any ideas?

I just press the back button when I'm done reading my texts? I thought the keyboard was supposed to open.

Upvote 0
all you have to do is hit the back button before you hit the home button.

basically, the application remains in the background, ready to pounce open the next time you need it, and it will be in the state you left it. just back out of the conversation and get to all your threads, then hit home.

I feel that is an unnecessary step which I never had an issue on my first Hero. I took that back to the store and got one "with google" on it. Having to hit back then home after reading any text seems crazy to me, I should be able to hit home then when I return to the messages app it should take me back to the main area with all conversations. Isn't the whole point of shortcuts to allow you to text a specific someone back quickly? Maybe I'm just crazy... but if anything I would appreciate an option that would allow you to always return to the main area.

PS - Why the discrepancy in the software? The method I outline allows for the app to perform the way I want it to... Wouldn't this imply there is some sort of software glitch?

Upvote 0
The messaging app is doing what it's supposed to do. If you're in a conversation and you press Home to leave the app and return to the Home screen, the messaging app is still running in the background as it was when you pressed Home. You can go do other things but when you return to the messaging app (which is already open) you're going right back where you were.

However, if you're referring to it opening to the last conversation when you open a newly received message from the notification area, that's sorta different... and I too find it annoying. If I select a notification from another person/conversation, it should open to that conversation instead of the previous one. After all, what's the point of selecting that specific notification if it takes you to another "area"?

Upvote 0
However, if you're referring to it opening to the last conversation when you open a newly received message from the notification area, that's sorta different... and I too find it annoying. If I select a notification from another person/conversation, it should open to that conversation instead of the previous one. After all, what's the point of selecting that specific notification if it takes you to another "area"?

Yes, that's one of the annoyances I've had. After hitting Home from a conversation, any means of accessing the messaging app takes me back to the conversation I was just in. This includes opening the messages app from my main window, clicking a new messages notification, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones