1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Messages force close after 2.1 updateGeneral

1. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

anyone else having this problem after the update to 2.1.
    When I had 1.5 it NEVER force closed.
    Any idea's what I can do??

Yes I did the hard rest after the update.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

The SMS app LOVES to FC if you're holding the phone in landscape orientation. I can almost do it on demand. Hold the phone upright while opening up the app or a specific message.

(Kind of read's like an Apple solution :()
  3. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

thanks
    Thats friggen lame, god they screwed this phone up with 2.1....:(:(
    Next droid phone isn't going to be an HTC for sure.
  4. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Have you tried one of the aftermarket SMS applications? Handcent or Chomp perhaps.
  5. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

trying chomp now. So far so good.

Just sucks, the OEM SMS never FC till the updates.
  6. xx_bishop_xx

Yeah, I haven't read too much about that type of error persisting even after the factory data reset. Did it begin immediately after the update? Not to offend, but you're certain it was a hard reset and not a power cycle? I just don't know what type of background you have, and just wondered. :(
  7. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

No worries, I did the ota to 2.1 then did a hard reset (wiped out all my app's..etc) then shortly after that when I text it FC once in while, well once a day I should say.
  8. xx_bishop_xx

Well that sounds like you took all the recommended steps. Unfortunate you still get the FC. There is a method to turn off the native SMS notifications I believe, if you're getting duplicated notifications now that you're using Chomp. Give Handcent a shot too if you have time, it seems to be the more popular of the two.
  9. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

thanks, I found that turn off setting on the native SMS.
    I like chomp beter because of the widget, I don't like just an icon for SMS
  10. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

my stock messaging app force closes whenever i get MMS. but i use chomp and the pics still come through.
  11. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

^ me to, no problem with chomp and pic messages
  12. Ted S

Ted S Well-Known Member

I've received exactly two text messages since the OTA and both of them ended in a force close. I have no idea how I was holding the darn thing.