Messages From "CB Messages"Support

1. iffrett

iffrett Well-Known Member

Today I got 3 text messages from somebody called "CB Messages". I just recently flashed to cog 3.04 and was wondering if this was due to it.

The three messages were:

CB TEST ID=41 GS=0 ENGLISH PAGE=1 PNO=1--CB TEST ID=41 GS=0 ENGLISH PAGE=1 PNO=1--PAGE1 PNO=2CB TEST ID=41 GS=0 ENGLISH PAGE=2 PNO=1--CB TEST ID=41 GS=0 ENGLISH PAGE=2 PNO=1--PAGE2 PNO=2

CB TEST ID=60 GS=3 FRENCH PAGE=1 PNO=1---CB TEST ID=60 GS=3 FRENCH PAGE=1 PNO=1---PAGE1 PNO=2CB TEST ID=60 GS=3 FRENCH PAGE=2 PNO=1---CB TEST ID=60 GS=3 FRENCH PAGE=2 PNO=1---PAGE2 PNO=2

CB TEST ID=42 GS=0 FRENCH PAGE=1 PNO=1---CB TEST ID=42 GS=0 FRENCH PAGE=1 PNO=1---PAGE1 PNO=2CB TEST ID=42 GS=0 FRENCH PAGE=2 PNO=1---CB TEST ID=42 GS=0 FRENCH PAGE=2 PNO=1---PAGE2 PNO=2

Anyone know whats going on?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SamsungCaptivated

SamsungCaptivated Well-Known Member

Go to your messaging, press the menu button to bring up the options, click on settings, then scroll/slide down about 2/3 of the page of the different options and you'll see an option for receiving CB messages. It's Cell Broadcasting messages - basically for testing purposes. Make sure the check mark is off. If the check mark is on, you'll receive Cell Broadcasts.
    FarmerTerry and iffrett like this.
  3. wh666

wh666 New Member

Not quite right captivated.

Yes, on phones with the option, it can be disabled or enabled.

Yes, those messages do look like test ones.

But that is not the purpose of cb. It is tremendous, but never took off. Cb broadcasts a message to all cells in range of the same antenna. It cannot be overloaded even during times when people cannot make calls or text.

So for example, during a terrorist attack, a message could be broadcast asking people to check in or where to seek safety. If an armed person is stalking a neighbourhood, one person could send a message telling everyone to stay inside and lock up, to everyone, even neighbours they don't know. Even if the network is overloaded.

Alas, it would probably be spammed to hell if it took off.
  4. Abbafan1972

Abbafan1972 Member

My daughter kept on receiving these on her Samsung Galaxy Fame and I was worried that it was a premium text service or something!

Luckily she found the option to disable it. She was receiving a few a day I think. :mad: