Messaging App - Force Close on lookup everytime

Last Updated:

1. keith5885

keith5885 Member This Topic's Starter

This is very strange.

I have a Droid and download many random apps. Many of them run and I kill them often to not have a laggy performance but it still happens quite a bit. I get many random force closes from all kinds of apps. Very annoying and I feel like I am the only one.

Problem:

Steps to Create force close everytime in Messaging:
    1. Compose new message
    2. Type in "D"
    3. Type in "A"
    4. *Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped (no wait button to choose)

Once A is typed it always force closes (40 times in a row)

I have restarted with no luck.

Any ideas? Will go see verizon soon...

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I can't replicate it. No force close and after DA, it returns the 3 contacs with DA as the first letter in their names.

You may have a bad app or 2 installed...maybe don't support Android 2.0.

3. keith5885

It sucks that bad apps could screw things up like this.

Any ideas on how to go about finding the sour app(le)??

I already do basic test to see if they work after I download apps.

4. keith5885

Just went to Privacy and did factory data reset.

After activation and signing into my google account... it went to the desktop.

All shortcuts are gone but my desktop is the same custom image.

Syncing is still occurring as I can see the icon above. Nothing seems to have synced yet... going to wait till syncing is done. time is 6:24

6:25 Just got a new email message alert for gmail.

6:26 All my applications are restored and in the application list...

signing into facebook and logging in.

Just tested the "DA" issue and it works!!

Other apps need me to redo the settings...

Everything seems much quicker and snappier at the moment. Hopefully this fixed a few things... I just uninstalled all un-used apps too.

5. wakefield49

wakefield49 New Member

When you do a factory data reset shouldn't it go to factory settings and lose your data? I want to keep my text messages and don't want to lose them. I have videos in them i have not saved to my card and everytime I try now it force closes. If I could save all of them I would gladly reset everything since I currently have no service and this is a useless pos. And this also sucks because im in a snow storm. Nice going Google!

6. Beehemel

Beehemel Member

I've had similar problems with my Droid and am looking for some tips. It seems like if I don't use an app for some time, it starts force closing when I try to use it again. I've had it happen with games, the Marketplace (one time, clearing the cache fixed it, the other time I had to hard reset to get that working again), Google Voice, and various other apps. Generally, uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes the problem, but that's kind of a pain in the arse. Is this normal behavior for Android? I know that some apps are written for 1.5 or 1.6 and that's why they don't work correctly on 2.0, but some of these are the built in apps that came with the phone! Any help is appreciated.

7. Beehemel

Beehemel Member

Bump...Can anyone offer some insight?

8. SuzieQ7583

SuzieQ7583 New Member

I have a Droid Eris and am having issues w/one particular app for closing on me. My sister has the same phone and downloaded the same app and hers is working just fine. I have taken the battery out and done a factory reset. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Ne suggestions b/c it's aggravating.