Messaging AppGeneral

1. nexusor

nexusor New Member

Any way to change the appearance of the stock message app on the Droid Maxx, I am new to the phone and have much to learn coming from an iPhone?
    Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

There really isn't. If you're looking for a very solid, customizable text interface, try Handcent. Tons of options.

P.S. Welcome!
    SNeitzel and Thom like this.
  3. nexusor

nexusor New Member

Thanks Outatime. That is what I was looking for!
  4. Outatime

Don't forget to go to your Active Notifications > Manage notification types and add Handcent so you'll see see them. That is provided you don't use Handcent's popup.
  5. Rumma

Rumma Active Member

Try GoSMS Pro from the Play store
  6. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Well-Known Member

i use 8sms...it doesn't replace the stock app, but it's an addon that makes the stock app into the app that's included with clockwordmod roms. so it includes a dark theme and popup notifications. there's a couple settings you'll need to adjust to make it your default messaging app (cause the stock app interface is still installed).
  7. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Had not heard of this app. Just installed it, it is still an external app that has to be used in place of the stock app correct? I've disabled the stock app notifications.
  8. mistermojorizi

yep, but it still uses the stock app in some way...tells you not to disable it...i just found it a couple weeks ago, love it so much.
  9. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

Hey, does the active notifications still bring you to the old text app?
    binaryhermit likes this.
  10. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Well-Known Member Contributor

It does what you tell it to. If you go to Settings > Active Notifications > Manage Notification Types, you can disable the stock messaging app and enable the replacement messinging app.

So, the answer is, if you don't disable the stock text app, yes it will. However, if you disable the stock messaging app in the settings, no it won't show the notifications.
  11. redddog

last one for me....

Whenever I send a text, I get an undelivered report (red triangle, exclaimation point) even though the text was sent. Anyway to change that?

Outside of that, this app changes the single most annoying feature of stock for me. HATED that white theme.
  12. redddog

Anyone getting that? The red triangle with the exclaimation point?
  13. Outatime

I'm not getting that on Handcent. I'm not sure what would cause that.
  14. redddog

Yeah, I'm getting it on 8sms. It's fine, I guess. Everything sends and recieves fine it's just a bit distracting.
  15. Outatime

Did you try to turn off delivery reports if it's on?
  16. mistermojorizi

i'm using 8sms, and getting normal active notifications. i forget how i set it up though...but i remember having to play with it.

the red triangle is a generic notification. i've had other sms apps produce that and it was annoying
  17. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

When (and if) Hangouts ever actually integrates SMS/MMS it will end my use the stock messaging app. I can't wait for that to happen. It will be the thing of DREAMS if and when they integrate Google Voice. I think that may be why they haven't updated their Voice app or developed it any more deeply because they are getting ready to kill it and incorporate it into Hangouts.