• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
i use 8sms...it doesn't replace the stock app, but it's an addon that makes the stock app into the app that's included with clockwordmod roms. so it includes a dark theme and popup notifications. there's a couple settings you'll need to adjust to make it your default messaging app (cause the stock app interface is still installed).

Upvote 0
i use 8sms...it doesn't replace the stock app, but it's an addon that makes the stock app into the app that's included with clockwordmod roms. so it includes a dark theme and popup notifications. there's a couple settings you'll need to adjust to make it your default messaging app (cause the stock app interface is still installed).

Had not heard of this app. Just installed it, it is still an external app that has to be used in place of the stock app correct? I've disabled the stock app notifications.

Upvote 0
Hey, does the active notifications still bring you to the old text app?

It does what you tell it to. If you go to Settings > Active Notifications > Manage Notification Types, you can disable the stock messaging app and enable the replacement messinging app.

So, the answer is, if you don't disable the stock text app, yes it will. However, if you disable the stock messaging app in the settings, no it won't show the notifications.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm getting it on 8sms. It's fine, I guess. Everything sends and recieves fine it's just a bit distracting.

i'm using 8sms, and getting normal active notifications. i forget how i set it up though...but i remember having to play with it.

the red triangle is a generic notification. i've had other sms apps produce that and it was annoying

Upvote 0
When (and if) Hangouts ever actually integrates SMS/MMS it will end my use the stock messaging app. I can't wait for that to happen. It will be the thing of DREAMS if and when they integrate Google Voice. I think that may be why they haven't updated their Voice app or developed it any more deeply because they are getting ready to kill it and incorporate it into Hangouts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones