• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messaging issues (SMS/MMS)

kieron121

Lurker
Jul 15, 2013
Hey Android users, i am another one of these who have decided to leave the iphone and come back to android (previously had the HTC Desire for 24 months before going with apple for a while). Got the Samsung Galaxy s4 and i must say i am loving the extra freedom without having to jailbreak my phone! But i am having some problems getting my sms notifications to show the way i would like.

When i get a text it only shows "new message" and doesn't say the name (or preview) unless i go into the application. Is there a way i can get the name to show (without the preview) i downloaded Handcent sms, but can't work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to android forums kieron121!! The only way to see the name is as the text comes in it will say the name at the top, as well as a few word preview. After that it reverts to "New Message". I know that Handcent and GoSMS both have the options to have a pop-up screen when a message comes in. I don't have the S4 but I can always download either Handcent or GOSMS and see if I can help with setup if you want.

Upvote 0
Hey Android users, i am another one of these who have decided to leave the iphone and come back to android (previously had the HTC Desire for 24 months before going with apple for a while). Got the Samsung Galaxy s4 and i must say i am loving the extra freedom without having to jailbreak my phone! But i am having some problems getting my sms notifications to show the way i would like.

When i get a text it only shows "new message" and doesn't say the name (or preview) unless i go into the application. Is there a way i can get the name to show (without the preview) i downloaded Handcent sms, but can't work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Open the Messaging app.
Go to Menu - Setting - and scroll down to Notification Settings.
Look for Preview Message and check the box next to it.
You can then text yourself to test it. It will spell the message out in your notification bar.

And when you pull down the notification, you should be able to see its content as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones