Messaging slow after 2.1 Upgrade

Last Updated:

1. Stucco

Stucco Member This Topic's Starter

I used MyBackup trial version to backup text messages, call logs, apps, etc and then upgraded to 2.1. After the upgrade my text message app takes a good 10-30 seconds to enter into. I can still see them fine and quickly in the status bar and the widget, but the app takes forever to load now, even if it's already running and I'm just switching people. Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Using a Sprint HTC Hero, right? Moving to the correct forum...

3. XcessCivic

XcessCivic Member

I'm also having the same problem. I'm not sure if it's because the Hero just never deletes old SMS messages but I have some threads with over 500 messages. But even if I open a thread with only ten messages I always get a loading screen. Highly annoying. I tried also to delete all of my messages, it gave me a loading screen for a full hour and didn't delete a thing. Not sure what to do.

4. Stucco

Thank you Slug, sorry for wrong board.

I am temped to remove all my msgs, thinking maybe MyBackup restored them in an improper way. I also have WaveSecure backups I could use instead.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Xcess Civic - Yikes! 500 messages will slow you phone down for sure!

Stucco - Welcome aboard! If you NEED to save a text now that you have 2.1 you can long press on the individual text and "lock it." Delete all that you don't need... reboot... see how things are after that.

eyebeam likes this.
  6. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Thanx for this info. I didn't know you could do that now. Most useful!

7. Kelmar

You're welcome. :)

8. XcessCivic

XcessCivic Member

yep 500 msgs, i just never really paid that much attention. Most phones will delete old messages automatically after a certain point. My wife's Moment is able to set a limit of so many messages per thread but haven't seen any such option on Hero. I guess I'll set it to delete messages before I go to sleep tonight and just let it run and see what happens. LOL.

9. Kelmar

Good luck! Be sure to let us know if it helps or not :)

10. ej132

ej132 Well-Known Member

I have one thread on my phone that has 2,441 texts on it currently. It really slows the phone down

11. XcessCivic

XcessCivic Member

Well I finally got all the messages deleted. Seems to take at least 15 minutes to delete Any thread with more than 200 messages. I still get a loading screen every time I open a thread though. It's only about a second now but was certainly not there before update.

By the way, has anyone found how to use the speech-go-text feature yet? Seems like HTC didn't put a microphone button on the keyboard. Kind of an essential piece of Android 2.1 to be missing.

12. phynias

phynias Member

this makes no sense though. i also have some threads with over 200 messages. the thing is before the upgrade they all opened up with no pause or without showing me a loading screen. it is ridiculous now.

13. XcessCivic

XcessCivic Member

Exactly my point. Glad to see I'm not the only one that sees this. I guess I will seriously start considering the EVO now.

14. phynias

phynias Member

and we waited how long for the upgrade??? what exactly were they doing, certainly wasn't bug testing from the looks of forums like this, with all the problems we all have.

15. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

i am a heavy texter....like quite a few thousand a day(i hate talking to ppl on the phone)
    and this is one thing i hate about android.

I can't have more than 20 text messages(individual messages from 20 ppl)
    or it will slow down.

So i share you guys pain

16. Stucco

chompsms seems to do pretty well. Does the listing in a "click to see more" manor.

17. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

if you want to save text messages then get the app called SMS Backup that saves them to your gmail account so that you can keep them deleted from your phone

I think there's also an app called Delete Old Messages that will auto delete for you but I"ve never tried it since I have SMS Backup

18. Stucco

I think the conclusion is that in version 2.1 the messaging app cannot handle many text messages as well as it could previously. Therefore alternatives are needed.

1) Delete messages (SMS Backup, or locking ones you want to keep and then deleting all the others)
    2) Install alternate messaging app (ChompSMS, Handcent, etc)
    3) ?? Any other suggestions welcome

19. phynias

phynias Member

i can't believe we don't have a quick bug fix or even a little acknowledgement of the fact that things like this are utterly broken. it's almost like they released crap on purpose just to get people to drop money on the EVO when it comes out.

20. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

"By the way, has anyone found how to use the speech-go-text feature yet? Seems like HTC didn't put a microphone button on the keyboard. Kind of an essential piece of Android 2.1 to be missing."

I sprung for "Better Keyboard" ($2.99) and it has the microphone text to speech function. Works very well.