Messaging Someone - My Contacts Don't Show Up In To FieldSupport

Last Updated:

1. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys I am really trying to figure this out. So I go into Messaging and I'd like to type in the "to" field a contacts name, like facebook does it and it starts to list matches and then you just pick the one you want. Like it searches your contacts, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Like I can only type in a number but I don't have anyones number memorized that's the point of having a saved phone book so am I missing something here?

Advertisement
  2. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

I couldn't figure that out in the default messaging app either. My solution was to download handcent from the marketplace. It is a free app and has loads o customizable features. You can even dictate messages instead of typing. At the very least, give it a try, it is free after all.:)

3. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

re-check your contacts....
    if the numbers are not stored as "mobile" this feature will not work..
    yes the core messaging app does support this.

4. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Either way handcent is a great app and allows you to do so much more. I did retry this using the default app though and it does work now. Last I tried it was before I did an overhaul on my contacts list.

5. phaze3131

OK so whats the easiest way to change 515 contacts to mobile instead of home?

Any ideas would be great!

6. ohvzwguy

Export to an excell file. Rearrange collunms and import back to gmail. That's how I would do it atleast.

Delete gmail contacts once your sure it exported ok (so you don't end up with duplicates)

7. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

well Id use a PC and log into your GMAIL acct. Export all contacts to a .csv file and edit the appropriate column in Excel to Mobile. Upload back into GMail

8. phaze3131

I can't do that because all my contacts are on my phone not gmail, and there is no way to get them on my gmail account that I can figure out.

Syncing only takes my empty gmail contacts and erases everything on my phone.

9. ohvzwguy

From the phone goto your contacts. There is an option to export. It will create the excel file on your sd card.

10. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

Contacts>menu>export to SD card. View the export onto your PC and see what file type it is. and Try to edit them again

I dont have a Droid til tonight so this is just a guess.

Edit: haha vzwguy just keeps getting his post in before me