• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messaging sound cutting off when phone is locked.

MPhelan

Lurker
Jul 21, 2016
I recently purchased this Maxx 2 and (along with several other quite irritating features of the Android OS) have discovered a single issue that I can't make sense of: The notification tone cuts itself off when the phone is locked.

I'm using the standard 'message' application. Not the Verizon one. No, thank you, I don't want suggestions of other apps to use. I have no interest in them.

My audio notification could be described as 'Dun dun dun dun'. If I have the phone active or am in the app, the tone works fine. But if it's sitting on a table somewhere and locked all it does is 'Dun du-'. The sudden cutoff of sound produces a little bit of a mechanical chirp.

Any indications of why it is doing this would be helpful. Bonus points if you can tell me how to stop the application from giving the notification sound when I'm already in the app and looking at the screen. Because: seriously.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones