• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Messed up getting phone ready to sell

PowerBomb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
Chicago
So I dug my Ally out of the drawer and figured I'd get ready to throw it on eBay. I had a nandroid for stock 2.2.2 rooted so I flashed that. Then I thought, nah, I'll even undo the root, and get rid of Amonra and go back to the stock recovery. So I downloaded a Froyo unrooted zip and went into recovery. Wiped everything, went to flash the unrooted zip, was told it couldn't find the update file or some kind of error, so I said whatever, I'll just leave the rooted 2.2.2 and go undo the custom recovery (forgetting that I had just WIPED the rooted system). So I used the zip I downloaded the flashes stock recovery over the custom one, went to reboot, and then as I stared at the frozen verizon boot screen I realized I have no system loaded onto the phone now.

And now send+menu+end won't load into a recovery, I just get the android ! symbol.

Any way I can save this thing? Otherwise I'll just throw it away but I thought I might as well get a couple bucks for it.

Yeah I looked at that thread but that seemed like a lot of hard work lol.

I was actually able to save it with the "Ally RR" tool. Never had heard about that before, guess I was done using my Ally by the time someone released that handy tool. Connected the phone to my PC, ran that utility, it seemed to kick the phone into Fastboot and then reinstalled the stock recovery, where I was able to reload a Nandroid backup. Took me a while to find a working link to download that tool since I guess the Savoxis site is no longer hosted, but finally found a working download.

Upvote 0
Yeah I looked at that thread but that seemed like a lot of hard work lol.

I was actually able to save it with the "Ally RR" tool. Never had heard about that before, guess I was done using my Ally by the time someone released that handy tool. Connected the phone to my PC, ran that utility, it seemed to kick the phone into Fastboot and then reinstalled the stock recovery, where I was able to reload a Nandroid backup. Took me a while to find a working link to download that tool since I guess the Savoxis site is no longer hosted, but finally found a working download.

I found a working link to the Ally RR Tool if anybody is interested.

Ally RR.zip

Reactions: Raymen864
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones