• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I had the same decision 2 weeks ago...I was set on getting the zmax up until I got to the store...at the last minute I decided on the avant because of the Samsung brand and the fact that I was coming from the lg optimus f6 which is a terrible phone...the zmax is an OK phone for its size...the specs are alright...but if you want size go with the zmax its huge...I personally like a 4.5 or 5 inch screen......I just went with a better known brand

Reactions: Twiztedcarney
Upvote 0
I to have had the f6 went from there to the GL now on boost w/ HTC 510 nd it's the worst phone I have ever owned the size is really big nd has that as a draw back I use tango Skype nd that's playing part into my choice but I have a feeling it's going to be a toss up till I walk into metro the GL is a great phone jus to small as to development I have read that ZTE is not friendly with most phones I did however have the ZTE Warp at the time it was a good phone I guess Wednesday I will have to make the call cuz I can't stand this pos lol ty

Reactions: JesseBanks
Upvote 0
Get the ZMax. I just bought one yesterday. $122.xx out the door at Metro PCS

1.2GHz Quad Core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 12 GB Internal Storage with a provision for a 32GB Micro SD Card, 5.7" Screen, 720p Display, 1080p Recording and Video playback, Looooong battery life, 8MP Cam, KK 4.4.4, etc...

Better phone than the Avant and a much better deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@PHP87

This is the only reason i'd have to say NO for me;

Please read,
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6909772

I won't let them get me again. Its my choice and my money for my phone. Carriers and device makers should give the customer's what they want if they want our bussiness.
Outside of it being locked down it would be a decent phablet with nice specs.

Reactions: codyedmonson
Upvote 0
I've rooted previous devices, but the value you get for the ZMax is incredible.
I migrated from an LG Spirit with a 4.5" screen and once you go to a 5.7" screen, the 4.5" screen is minuscule by comparison.

The ZMax is a steal while the Avant is just another device among many in the 4.5" screen size range.

I can live without Root for for an extra 1.2" of screen, more RAM, better Camera, better Audio quality, much longer Battery life, less Bloatware, etc...

Both devices are $99, but the ZMax is 2x the device.

It's also a fairly new device, so Root might take a while but that's not to say it will never have Root capability.

Reactions: MonteK73
Upvote 0
I've rooted previous devices, but the value you get for the ZMax is incredible.
I migrated from an LG Spirit with a 4.5" screen and once you go to a 5.7" screen, the 4.5" screen is minuscule by comparison.

The ZMax is a steal while the Avant is just another device among many in the 4.5" screen size range.

I can live without Root for for an extra 1.2" of screen, more RAM, better Camera, better Audio quality, much longer Battery life, less Bloatware, etc...

Both devices are $99, but the ZMax is 2x the device.

It's also a fairly new device, so Root might take a while but that's not to say it will never have Root capability.
I get that its a fairly new device but going by what everyone is saying, there are no device trees and no sources for this phone. Meaning someone very good with deving is going to have to compile the sources needed to unlock bootloader, build recoveries/Roms and honestly I think devs are going to take one looked at the locked boot loader and turn it down for any kind of Dev love. I went through the same problem with my Alcatel phone.

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
I get that its a fairly new device but going by what everyone is saying, there are no device trees and no sources for this phone. Meaning someone very good with deving is going to have to compile the sources needed to unlock bootloader, build recoveries/Roms and honestly I think devs are going to take one looked at the locked boot loader and turn it down for any kind of Dev love. I went through the same problem with my Alcatel phone.

To each his own. I can live without Root in exchange for a superior device at the same cost. Once you compare the screens, the decision should be a no-brainer, not to mention all of the other upgrades over the Avant.

My LG Spirit with the 4.5" screen and case is still smaller than the screen on my ZMax, not to mention the other things such as 720p display, Gorilla Glass 3, crazy long battery life, better Audio/Video quality, more RAM, etc...

Like I said, I can live without Root for all of those extras. Bottom line is that you're going to spend most of your phone time staring at the screen.

Upvote 0
To each his own. I can live without Root in exchange for a superior device at the same cost. Once you compare the screens, the decision should be a no-brainer, not to mention all of the other upgrades over the Avant.

My LG Spirit with the 4.5" screen and case is still smaller than the screen on my ZMax, not to mention the other things such as 720p display, Gorilla Glass 3, crazy long battery life, better Audio/Video quality, more RAM, etc...

Like I said, I can live without Root for all of those extras. Bottom line is that you're going to spend most of your phone time staring at the screen.
True, and I agree with you that it has better specs, its a phablet. For me, the avant is perfect because of the deving possible, for you, its different because you dont care about root and roms and all that. There are some functions on root that I need for my phone like tasker task's and such. I'm a tinker...er I like to mess with stuff lol. Anyway enjoy your device, heard some good and bad things about it but eh its a phone, everyone has their crap talking and "Fanboy" moments.

EDIT: Found this link, you may want to keep an eye on it since it might actually serve you some good later on :D LINK:http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/zte-zmax-z970-guide-faq-discussion-t3053066

Last edited:
Reactions: PHP87
Upvote 0
development is choking ......at the rate it's being dropped by worthy DEVS ...i'm personally afraid it'll never see root ....or any CM rom varients ....... it almost makes me miss my F6 running Cobalt....almost............lol
At least the zmax is almost stock android. I played around with one in the metro store and it reminded me of a nexus.
Except for the fact that with a nexus the bootloader can be unclocked with ease

Reactions: CYCONUMNUM
Upvote 0
All I know is that I read a couple articles about T-Mobile and MetroPCS stopping all sales of the zmax and that they were in every store in my area but now they have stopped selling them. I also checked the MetroPCS website a few days ago and it wasn't there.
And now they are back again. I guess that's what I get for opening my mouth.

Upvote 0
Now that the ZMAX has root and TWRP, it looks like the devs have leveled the playing field between the Avant and the ZMAX. Its starting to look like I may have bet on the wrong horse when I bought my Avant. I certainly hope not.

Ahh your right! I thought they would of never had root for that phone. The community was terrible, practically chased away developers. I had this phone RIP. True story I was drunk and ragged it against wall because no root. #NerdNonRootRage100%lol

Upvote 0
I had 2 zmaxes in a matter of tao weeks on had LCD issues the other had software issues
From what I've heard the older ones were ending up defective a lot. I got one a couple weeks ago and the only problem I had was with the accelerometer (rotation senser) and it turns out that was caused by flashing a cm12.1 alpha that was still in early development. I've since fixed the issue and it's been fine for over a week now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones