• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro PCS - Major Changes

So I did all of that and this is where I'm at is the correct for it to be off/disabled? Added screen shot.
Thank you for the help.
Anthony.

The question I think most of us have is where is the setting to turn it on/off.

From t12b25 screen shot
Added Services

Data Maximizer Off
Make your high-speed data last up to
3x longer by turning on Data Maximizer
from the Data Usage page in myMetro.

It says to go to your Data Usage page in myMetro App, there is no setting there as of yet to switch it on/off. Does the app need to be updated by Metro for the setting to appear? This is where the confusion is I believe.

Now I see by adding the service it's disabled. Just check my account online it shows
Your Current Services
Additional features at a total cost of $1.00 a month which includes:

Block It at
$1.00 a month
Data Maximizer Disabled at
$0.00 a month

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The question I think most of us have is where is the setting to turn it on/off.

From t12b25 screen shot
Added Services

Data Maximizer Off
Make your high-speed data last up to
3x longer by turning on Data Maximizer
from the Data Usage page in myMetro.

It says to go to your Data Usage page in myMetro App, there is no setting there as of yet to switch it on/off. Does the app need to be updated by Metro for the setting to appear? This is where the confusion is I believe.

Now I see by adding the service it's disabled. Just check my account online it shows
Your Current Services
Additional features at a total cost of $1.00 a month which includes:

Block It at
$1.00 a month
Data Maximizer Disabled at
$0.00 a month
Thank you I appreciate it. It's just so confusing, and yes I do believe you're right the app and their Web page both need an update. It makes me more at ease that you can see its disabled. I tried login into the site, and it just tells me I need to update my profile, so I sign in and it refreshes to update, however once I tap on the view plan details, it once again tells me I need to update profile, so I can't see anything. I appreciate the help. Thanks again..
Anthony.

Upvote 0
Did you receive your verification code on your phone after you first signed up to complete your online account?

Step 1. Getting Started
If you are a current MetroPCS customer signing up to manage your account online, you will need to have your MetroPCS phone on and ready to receive a verification code to completed registration.
I already have an account it just lets me view my phones, numbers and usage . Now when I go to add services or view what services I have it gives me that message that I need to update my account. Then I tap the message, update it, and it sends me back, so I try again to view my services, and it gives me that message again. Any idea why?.
Thank you.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
I just received the update for the myMetro app and yes on google play it does state

What's New

This update to myMetro provides support for the Android 6.x OS. "Marsh mellow" You can now also toggle your Data Maximizer functionality on and off within myMetro!

So AP2FTW is correct is says you can toggle it on and off. But like t12b25 just posted I looked all through the app and I see no toggle switch for turning Data Maximizer on and off. I agree it's getting more confusing.

Upvote 0
Okay so this whole data Maximizer issue is making me feel like my phone is somehow throttled when it comes to internet speed. I was told they turned it off earlier today,but just by watching random videos on YouTube it still buffers when it's on 720p every 12 seconds when in the past it never buffered at all....Hmmmm what is this sorcery?

Data Maximizer shouldn't even be an option for people with the 60$ unlimited data plan. I can see it being useful for the lower tiers, but it really shouldn't even be available to the $60 plan

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
Okay so this whole data Maximizer issue is making me feel like my phone is somehow throttled when it comes to internet speed. I was told they turned it off earlier today,but just by watching random videos on YouTube it still buffers when it's on 720p every 12 seconds when in the past it never buffered at all....Hmmmm what is this sorcery?

Data Maximizer shouldn't even be an option for people with the 60$ unlimited data plan. I can see it being useful for the lower tiers, but it really shouldn't even be available to the $60 plan
Well, supposedly would help to tether a bit more...

Upvote 0
I just received the update for the myMetro app and yes on google play it does state

What's New

This update to myMetro provides support for the Android 6.x OS. "Marsh mellow" You can now also toggle your Data Maximizer functionality on and off within myMetro!

So AP2FTW is correct is says you can toggle it on and off. But like t12b25 just posted I looked all through the app and I see no toggle switch for turning Data Maximizer on and off. I agree it's getting more confusing.
Yah í just got mine: v170022 reported within app.
No access to music freedom unlimited within it.

Upvote 0
Well, supposedly would help to tether a bit more...
Not only would it help tethering, but it helps with network congestion. Whether you have the data maximizer on or off, the more people that use it will lead to less network congestion and allow TMobile/Metro to utilize the bandwidth in a more profitable manner. It's beneficial to all customers and to Metro/Tmo.

For my 3 unlimited plan phones, I am leaving it on at the moment. Neither myself or the other 2 users watch enough video on the phone to have a problem with a 720p to 480p downgrade. This is very useful for those that tether a lot, the extra hotspot is an obvious plus as well.

All my music streaming is done through subsonic which allows me to play all my music from my desktop in great quality. I don't see Metro/Tmo ever allowing that to go through their service for free, and that is fine by me. It's one of the main reasons I'm on unlimited. If any of you have a large music collection at home and you dont want to deal with the various programs or clouds that compress or playback your music at different bitrates or a different format altogether, I recommend Subsonic. I pay $12 a year. It gives you full control over the your own server and allows you to add users/accounts to your setup. I have various friends who have full read capabilities to the multiple TBs of music. If you have a good, portable audio setup, enjoy the streaming FLAC that I was not able to see offered by anyone else at this price point.

All in all, I am happy that Metro is rolling out the same offers and innovations as Tmo, it makes Metro even more appealing. I would like to see how Metro's customer base has changed since the merger. At the very least, their operations have become more lean and efficient so if they continued with the same revenue, their profits have increased. I wish I would have invested into the company at the time of the merger.

Reactions: gizmo72163
Upvote 0
I went to my account via their site and did the whole box check add "disable" services and I still don't think the maximizer junk is off. My speed meter app tells me it still caps at 1.5 Mbps when streaming Netflix and it takes forever to buffer HD vids on youtube.
That sounds more like you've reached your LTE data limit; or that you just aren't getting good speed where you are rather than data maximizer. The data maximizer isn't supposed to restrict speeds, just change 720P to 480P.

Sent from my Moto G XT1034 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
No. I barely reach 8gigs a month and it only caps at that speed when I'm on those video streaming apps. Never had an issue until this data maximizer bs.
I have been tethering for a while... N since i did the data maximizer have been having issues of reaching max data... I thing that by doing that we opened a door to mpcs or tmo to control our data... Ihave been looking for that door to shut it down...
I think withing mymetro n browser app some of the hooks are there...v

Upvote 0
I never use hotspot, so the whole tethering issue is null. I have $60 unlimited plan but this whole data Maximizer really does make me feel like I have been throttled when it comes to my speed. Here I am a week later and I still can't watch HD videos on YouTube without it buffering every 15 seconds. Sure 360p streams like a champ but I bought an HD phone to view videos in HD!!

Upvote 0
Metro's line up is really lacking this year compared to other carriers. I get that we can bring our own device but not everyone knows/will do that. They should pick up some better mid rangers like one of the A series (preferably the A5 2016) or the M5 or C5. They definitely need to revamp the lineup.
I'm surprised they still dont sell the high selling Moto phones. The Asus lineup seems right in the wheelhouse for Metro's customer base as well and I am disappointed they didn't get it. That could have been a nice winner less than $200

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones