• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS blocked Tethering.

I rooted my phone a couple of months ago, and installed a few things to allow me to tether wifi.... It has all worked fine up until the day before yesterday. I noticed my phone shut off, and rebooted itself out of nowhere. Then after that, I am not able to tether.

When trying to use wifi, my browser on whatever I am using (ipad, laptop, etc) opens to a page saying that "Wireless Tether services are currently not available with MetroPCS".

I also noticed that my keyboard looks different on the phone. So metro pcs must have sent out some update to my phone, although it is still running the same Android 2.3.4....... So I am not sure what happened, but how do I get my Tether ability back?

A couple of people suggested that perhaps my phone is no longer rooted...

As far as I know, it is still rooted. The WirelessTether app goes through the motions, says it has been granted SuperUser permissions, and the phone begins t broadcast the tether signal...... But when I try to use the internet (on ipad, laptop, etc) it takes my browser to this page saying "Wireless Tethering not currently available with MetroPCS". Or something to that effect. How can I know for sure if my phone is still rooted?

I would suggest that you download "Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton (from google play market) it should only be about 400kb and it works on my metro admire. i only have issues when i have no network signal. also, as mentioned in other posts to find out if you have a root phone use ROOT CHECKER by joeykrim ... also from the google play market

Upvote 0
EASY FIX!

If your phone is rooted you can edit the build.prop file found in /system/build.prop and your phone will tether with noproblem bypassing metroPCS block Wireless or USB!

Open build.prop with in a text editor by long pressing the file until a menu comes up.
Scroll to the bottom of the file and look for ....

metropcs-us
ro.tether.denied=true <-- Change to false save and exit.

*Your Phone will have to be rooted to edit this file.

This is only one way of many to manipulate your phone to work the way you want it to.

Tether On!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones