• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Hyperdrive rom

With the release of RLS12 I finally decided to give this ROM a try. The fact that you are having to flash three separate files and the fact that this ROM was not specifically written for our device/carrier might deter some people from giving it a try. Don't let any of that intimidate you though. It really isn't as hard or daunting as it sounds. If you download the latest versions of all three files listed in the first post of this thread and then follow the proper sequence for flashing (also in the first posting of this thread) which is full factory wipe (a factory wipe includes the cache and dalvik cache so I don't know why people list the three separately), flash the ROM, flash the fix and then flash the kernel without rebooting until all three files have been flashed and everything will turn out just fine.

You do need to have some patience when flashing the ROM though. The aroma installer has a tendency to freeze when going through the screens where you make your choices to customize the installation of the ROM. It froze on me four different times before I finally got through all of the choices on the fifth try. It was frustrating and almost had me screaming at my phone on the third try because I was on the last screen of choices when it froze. Simply resist all urges to throw your phone across the room and ensure you make the proper choice of "Sprint" when choosing the carrier. Keep your battery cover off the back of the phone to make it easier to reset and start over again and you will eventually make it through the Aroma installer. After the Aroma installer has completed its installation of the ROM the installer will present you with a screen that has a reboot button in the lower right hand corner. There is also an option to "reboot now" near the upper left hand part of the screen. Since you do not want to reboot, clear the check mark near the "reboot now" option. Once that check mark has been cleared you can then select the reboot button in the lower right hand part of the screen and that will exit the Aroma installer and will take you back to the recoveries home screen. You then just need to flash the fix and then the new kernel (both of these flash very quickly) and you can then reboot back into the system.

As with starting your phone for the first time after flashing any new ROM, your phone will take its sweet time getting through the boot animation (the phone is actually doing many things it needs to do to setup the ROM for the first time). My phone displayed the boot animation for approximately 3 minutes before finally going to the first time "Welcome" screen. Once again, a little patience is a virtue here.

There was some concern in some past postings in this thread that the build.prop file was being properly setup for MetroPCS and not sprint. The second file you flash is the fix for this and in my case, it did its job perfectly. My phone was attaching itself to MetroPCS's network and 4G LTE was working just fine. If you do have some concerns about this and want to ensure your build.prop file is properly setup for MetroPCS, the lines I have listed below are how they should be listed within your build.prop file.

ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=MetroPCS
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311660
ro.telephony.default.default_network=8
telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1

(note: these lines may or may not be listed altogether in your build.prop file. You may have to scroll through the whole file to find all of them)

Since this was my first time at using this ROM, I cannot speak to past problems that people were experiencing with this ROM. Since I did not run into any of these problems I can only assume the RLS12 addressed those past issues and they have been corrected in RLS12. So, to make it clear, my phone never f/c'd (not even once) when using this ROM. As far as I could tell, everything worked properly with the exception of MMS which did not f/c but just failed to send. SMS sent without a problem though.

You may have noticed that I am referring to this ROM in the past tense as far as it running on my phone goes. That is because it is no longer running on my phone. This is not because the ROM itself had issues. I honestly could find very little wrong with this ROM. She is a very BIG full figured woman though. I knew this going in and I had my concerns about this. The size of this ROM is going to slow your phone down. The ROM I was running before installing this one and have since gone back to generally runs with around 700mb's of RAM still free. That is a lot of free RAM for the system to utilize as it sees fit. The Hyperdrive ROM on the other hand was running with only about 200Mb's of RAM still free. This created noticeable slow downs and lag when utilizing this ROM. I was not happy with that and therefore went back to the ROM I have been using as my daily ROM but I have to admit the the RLS12 release of Hyperdrive is one sexy and curvy full figured woman. I am sure many people will fall in love with her and there really isn't any good reason not to give her a try.

Upvote 0
9e7ahusa.jpg
i test now rls13 hyperdrive for metro pcs Dev-Host - Hyperdrive RLS13 Universal S3 Test.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones