1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

[MetroPCS/CDMA] Loss of data? Here is a possible fix!

1. kendelrk

kendelrk Member

Hello all,

I couldn't find any other thread on this topic and figured i would make one to possibly help a few people who may exhibit the same issue. After flashing a custom ROM for the wrong carrier on accident (Verizon) i lost data. I tried going back to other ROMS i knew had data, and even previous backups with no such luck. My IMEI was still there, however attempting to dial *228 provided a message saying that the phone wasn't registered on mobile networks and a circle with a cross through it is all that showed for data connection in the status bar. I then decided to Odin back to stock and it failed, leaving me with a phone only able to access download mode and powering up the device normally requested being connected to kies for an emergency firmware recovery, however upon connecting the phone it would not see it. In a desperate attempt i went back into download mode and flashed a file of CWM recovery and was able to boot into it, after this i removed my external SD card and used a card reader to place a ROM upon the card and was successfully able to flash it, leaving my phone on and running, but still without data. Next i flashed a ROM that allowed me to change the APN settings, in this case i used Jellybam ROM. Now you need to set the APN for the MetroPCS gs3, it is as follows (case sensitive),

Name: MetroPCS DEFAULT
    APN: internet.metropcs
    mmsc: http://Mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc
    mcc: 311
    mnc: 660
    APN type: default,hipri,admin,mms
    bearer: Lte

next set your phones network mode to CDMA+LTE/EVDO

Now make sure your CDMA roaming mode is on auto and the subscription is NV

In 30-60 seconds (time taken for phone to contact towers and toggle the APN just made) you should see signal bars, however still no 4g

The last step is to dial *228 and update to the latest roaming list (prl) and after you complete this phone call, you will have full data connectivity back and a fully working phone.

Advertisement