[MetroPCS/CDMA] Turn the S3 to accept global Sim guide

Last Updated:

1. dulal18

dulal18 Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

Haha. I could have just bought the International S3 if I wanted the S3. I wanted OUT of Metro but also wanted a new phone. Plus the thought of Google controlling my updates vs Samsung was more appealing as well. 4.2 will be out in a few days :D
  3. mjlove209

mjlove209 Well-Known Member

This galaxy s3 fuking rules!!!
  4. dulal18

dulal18 Well-Known Member

Lol k bro long as your satisfied with your service thats what matters, enjoy the Gnex going to enjoy my s3 soon as I get it from my brother.
  5. Fuzzy13

At the end of the day that's all that matters. I've found that everyone uses their phone for different ish. I for one use it for the bare min and mainly for development. I dont play games, watch movies, etc...... I talk very little, text a lot and tinker till the sun goes down. lol.
  6. tiede

tiede Well-Known Member

I've been clamoring this FOR WEEKS when the whole T-mobile merger debacle thing happened and you all ignored me! *sniff*
    I've been telling you all, REGARDLESS of what the carriers say, all US/Canada S3s are interchangeable under the hood. SIM/CDMA means no difference for the S3.
    Yeah, that phone is a B.E.A.S.T
  7. surdeep

surdeep Well-Known Member

8. akikhia

akikhia Well-Known Member

this is amazing news!!!
  9. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

After reading through the steps involved, it seems simple. Unfortunately it says that you will only get EDGE data speeds here in the U.S. (well, with the Verizon phone, I wonder what will happen with the Metro phone).
  10. redhook

redhook Well-Known Member

The T-Mobile version has no LTE radio.
  11. hvrc

hvrc Well-Known Member

verizon and metro are more in common then people think, from my understanding, both are cdma networks, that utilize a uic card for 4G data.
    alfick3 likes this.
  12. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Hmm, this means this phone is a beast, it CAN work on any network. Nice!
    Also this means that the phone will work after metro shuts down cdma (even if you didn't find this it would :p )

The phone has both cdma and GSM radios. So both cdma and GSM networks will work.
  13. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

We have the same exact phone as them
  14. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

It would still work because of VoLTE

:eek: I guess that's what your talking about
  15. akikhia

akikhia Well-Known Member

so can i put this phone on att? i know no 4g just wana let my dad try it for a few days so he decides on an iphone or s3 or maybe s4
  16. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Yes.
    akikhia likes this.
  17. hesitatetwice

hesitatetwice Well-Known Member

I hope this work , im traveling to Peru in the end of NOV and they have Movistar and Claro. i should get this all right (GULP) :) i have both network APN's
  18. Fuzzy13

My current "Edge" speeds are better than my Metro LTE speeds I was getting. So the "edge" network isn't as bad as some may think.
  19. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

I thought max speeds on edge was like 400kbps
  20. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Ummm I am sometimes able to get 1MB/s on 3G......
  21. hesitatetwice

hesitatetwice Well-Known Member

So you guys tryed this and it works ? correct? just to make sure before i do something foolish. i know what to do but just making sure ... ;)
    ..dont feel like renting a phone over at South America
  22. Fuzzy13

I hit 1.5 at the house. But, edge never shows up so I have to manually cut off 4G in order to do this.
  23. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

Oh you must be 1 of the lucky ones with Evolved EDGE

Average EDGE speed is 140kbps so it's like the GSM variant of 1x but there are very few areas that have Evolved EDGE
  24. Fuzzy13

Even at it's slowest it was still better than 1x. IDK. :confused:
  25. mike28

mike28 Well-Known Member

Hey fuzz I'm curious is the the Nexus forum for straight talk fun like us lol