MetroPCS launching live mobile TV serviceGeneral

1. NeoSabin

NeoSabin Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. yahhboy

yahhboy Well-Known Member

Well that may be why the Samsung attain hasn't realeased yet...
  3. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Gomez025 likes this.
  4. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Well-Known Member

No, will only be the upcoming Samsung for now. If successful Samsung will make other phones with this capability, and perhaps other manufacturers will get involved. But no current phones sold by Metro will be able to access this service. I see this as a niche product, to be honest.

To receive this "mobile TV" signal, these phones need an extendable external antenna. These phones will need ATSC digitial tuner capabilities -- probably extra chipset.

These TV signals will NOT be streamed over 3G/4G and are in no way connected to MetroPCS network. MetroPCS is selling the Android phones, but has no control over the TV transmissions. It's like an Android that receives AM/FM radio signals, too -- except in this case it's TV signals being broadcast in each city. The further you get away from the TV transmitter, you will not get a signal. But you can always hook up your rooftop antenna to your phone. ;)

The signals will be encrypted and the "app" on the phone is to decrypt them.

MetroPCS: TV Tuner-Equipped Samsung Smartphone Coming Soon

MetroPCS Launching Live Mobile TV Service Later This Year | TechCrunch
    MetroPCS to offer phones with ATSC Mobile TV tuners | Electronista
    horsecharles, DMajor239 and ShinySide like this.
  5. Strider0007

Strider0007 Well-Known Member

Dyle, a mobile-television venture launched by a coalition of cable operators, networks and station owners, reportedly plans to debut a phone and a tablet that will let users watch live local TV from partners NBC, Fox, Telemundo, Univision and ION Networks. The products are to be part of a partnership with MetroPCS, which would carry the service over its 4G network in 14 markets. The phone will have a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus screen, the company said, and will be priced as a "premium" device.
  6. ChazzMatt

I believe Metro's own press release before I believe that. They make no mention of these signals being carried over their network. If it was running over 4G, Metro would tout that, to brag on their LTE buildout. MetroPCS not mentioning 4G for a "premium" phone is a very telling omission.

Plus you wouldn't need an EXTERNAL antenna if it's running on Metro's 4G service. This phone wouldn't need an ATSC tuner if it's running on Metro's 4G service... So, it's NOT running on Metro's 4G service. These devices will have ATSC tuners and external antennas, and will be receiving the TV signals over the air (OTA) straight from the source.

There will be an app on the phones for decrypting purposes. Metro will probably receive some kind of fee for delivering viewers to the TV stations and the app will transmit data for audience metrics.

DMajor239 and ShinySide like this.
  7. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

metro is beginning to suck, lmao but i got netflix tho. :D
  8. yaras1979

yaras1979 Well-Known Member

The best questions - price, if include in 60$ plane, it's OK, but if the metro pcs, want more price, i don't think that's good idea
  9. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

I got excited for it till I read "The phones will have an extendable antenna for the TV signals." Yeahhhhh Im Opting out of that "service"

I'll stick to the Tv.com app for TV and Netflix for movies :D
  10. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

yepper...:p

What Shiny said.
  11. ChazzMatt

some articles are calling it a "telescoping antenna" -- which means you can leave it down. But then you might not get good reception. :rolleyes:

CES: Yet another rollout for mobile digital TV - latimes.com

Dyle's Mobile DTV Service To Launch On Smartphone - 2012-01-04 14:05:47 | TWICE

MetroPCS plans to offer Dyle Mobile TV services this year | The Verge
    A Foolish Week of Telecom (AAPL, CLWR, PCS, S, TIVO)
  12. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

But still if I have to walk around with an antenna on my phone and have to expand it like Im using a cordless phone from 1989 in 2012...I'll pass Ahaha
  13. ChazzMatt

like this? ;)

[​IMG]
    Samsung Moment with DTV tuner and antenna

[​IMG]
    Samsung Galaxy S with DTV tuner and antenna

Samsung is already doing stuff like this in other countries.

Galaxy S for Brazil Goes Old School With Telescoping Antenna

Samsung Galaxy S Brazil Version gets ISDB-Tb Digital TV Tuner | Cellphone News | Mobile Phones | Concept Phones
  14. Aplus

Aplus Well-Known Member

Actually, the antenna on the Galaxy S doesn't look that bad, I mean, you're only going to have it extended if you're using the tuner to watch a show. It looks like it fits pretty flush when its retracted.
  15. ShinySide

ShinySide Disabled

The Galaxy I could do. Dont exactly like but could rock it.

The one on the Moment....yeah no Ahaha
  16. Ære

Ære Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that if it's true digital TV..why would you need an antena? analog..yes, I see that but digital..are the dyle radio chips weak?
  17. ChazzMatt

[quote="
    DMajor239 likes this.
  18. jenitalobo07

jenitalobo07 New Member

[FONT=&quot]MetroPCS launching live mobile TV service
  19. horsecharles

horsecharles Well-Known Member

i predict:

the model's other features will be disappointing-- so that we either select another better one w/o tv, or this one-- tv but at a tradeoff less advanced model.