• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [recovery][official][twrp 2.6.3.1]

I have a metro pcs s4 and I updated to 4.3. What is the easiest/safest way to install a recovery and root now? I want it to stay the same, just root access with no flags.?

CF Auto Root via Odin is the easiest and most reliable way to root 4.3 but I believe it will trip a flag. Flashing a custom recovery will also trip a flag. I dont believe there is a way around tripping flags with 4.3. Anything you flash with odin can trip it, I may be wrong tho.

Anyone here know for sure???

I didnt update to 4.3 so I haven't needed to worry about it. There may be a safe way to root 4.3 but because Im still on 4.2 I haven't looked for one.

Again, as far as I understand it, there is no way to root or install a custom recovery without tripping the 4.3 flags. There's also no way back to the 4.2 bootloader. Sorry.

Upvote 0
What does a flag consist of? Will I see it on my status bar, or will it affect my phone at all?

You will see it when you boot into download mode. It wont change the phone at all or effect performance. It does void your warranty permanently so that if something happens to it and you need to exchange or get it fixed, it will cost you because they will see you flashed stuff.

Also, I think there's a question about whether a tripped flag will allow you to download and install the 4.4 ota update when it comes (but there will most likely be another way to update to 4.4 eventually).

There are two threads with 4.3 in the title, in this sub forum that have more info and links to info on the flags. I recommend reading through them.

Upvote 0
You will see it when you boot into download mode. It wont change the phone at all or effect performance. It does void your warranty permanently so that if something happens to it and you need to exchange or get it fixed, it will cost you because they will see you flashed stuff.

Also, I think there's a question about whether a tripped flag will allow you to download and install the 4.4 ota update when it comes (but there will most likely be another way to update to 4.4 eventually).

There are two threads with 4.3 in the title, in this sub forum that have more info and links to info on the flags. I recommend reading through them.

Are you on metro pcs? I am, and pay the extra 5 insurance which protects from breaking and theft... If something happens down the road like it breaks, can't I say it dropped off my boat or it got stolen and get a new one for $120? Can they tell I voided the warranty without the phone in hand?

Upvote 0
Are you on metro pcs? I am, and pay the extra 5 insurance which protects from breaking and theft... If something happens down the road like it breaks, can't I say it dropped off my boat or it got stolen and get a new one for $120? Can they tell I voided the warranty without the phone in hand?

Yea, we are mostly all on MetroPCS here and yes, if you lose it, theres no way to know you voided the warranty. I think it will be more than $120 to replace if lost tho. You may want to look into that.

Heres the info on the KNOX security that comes with 4.3 btw fyi.

http://omegadroid.co/wanted-knox-void-warranty-0x1/

Upvote 0
Yea, we are mostly all on MetroPCS here and yes, if you lose it, theres no way to know you voided the warranty. I think it will be more than $120 to replace if lost tho. You may want to look into that.

Heres the info on the KNOX security that comes with 4.3 btw fyi.

http://omegadroid.co/wanted-knox-void-warranty-0x1/

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will stay unrooted for now until I need to root for some reason. And I was told by the salesman it would be like 120 to replace it if lost or broken. That's why I went ahead and got the insurance.

I tried to boot into bootloader and got a warning screen about custom roms and chose to reboot. Is that normal?

Upvote 0
Yes its normal. I think you hit vol up at that point to check your flags.

Lol, salesmen will say anything to ensure a $600 sale. I would double check with customer service. It may be that to repair the phone its $120 with insurance, but ur giving them your old phone and they replace it with a new (refurbished) one. A lost device, I feel must cost more to replace cause they dont get ur old phone to refurbish. The lcd screens on these phones cost $250 alone.

Upvote 0
That depends on how you get the phone. You see, if the phone comes with 4.2 firmware, you'll be able to unroot and triangle away, with no issue. If you get the S4 and it comes with 4.3 (or if you update to 4.3 yourself) you wont be able to remove traces if you flash (for now) because 4.3 comes with a new bootloader that is locked and triangle away doesn't work. The second you try to flash something with 4.3, you'll trip the switch on the new bootloader and it will show you voided your warranty with no way to hide it. Also, once you get the 4.3 update you wont be able to odin back to 4.2. BUT If you stay on 4.2 and don't take the 4.3 update you'll be able to flash 4.3 ROMS (all roms dont include the bootloader) with no warranty issues. I'm curious to find out if the phone comes with 4.3 or 4.2. Let us know.

The unroot and remove traces for warranty process is the same with the S4 as other phones, I dont think that has changed. There may be some basic instructions in the http://androidforums.com/metropcs-g...t/773372-unofficial-m919nuvuamf2-working.html thread.
you just kept me from doing the 4.3 OTA update.getting the metro 4.3 stock rom now.

Upvote 0
Hey by the way, just to let you guys know..

One time I fully bricked my S3. It wouldn't even turn on. I went to metro PCS and they gave me a new one no problem. No insurance. They asked if it was charged and whatnot but thats it haha. But yea.

If I had gotten flagged, and needed a new phone.. Id probably discreetly break it more. Im not ENCOURAGING people to do so. Maybe I just got lucky? I dont know.

Just thought Id share that experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones