• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [Stock Backup] Restore Using TWRP

nuttmeg

Extreme Android User
Feb 9, 2011
Lone Star State
IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE IT IS NOT MY FAULT!

Files Needed:

Sammy USB Drivers

TWRP 2.5.0.2

Stock.Untouch.rar

Just download it and extract the folder to your ext sd card and Do Not Rename

• Plug your phone into the computer and open the external sd card
  • On the sd card, open the TWRP folder, open the backup folder, and open the next folder
  • Drag the "Stock.Untouch" folder that you extracted from your computer into the open folder on your external sd card or internal depending on where your backing up to (you will now see 1 folders. "Stock.Untouch"
  • Power down phone and boot into recovery
  • Select "Wipe" Than select "wipe data, cache, dalvik, system.
  • Go back, choose restore, make sure external sd is selected, select "Stock.Untouch" and slide the bar to start the restore process.

When finish restoring, tap reboot and Enjoy!!! ;)

If you need to return the phone to metro store for any reason, make sure you have the stock recovery.img flash back to the phone using odin. And make sure to use Triangle Away before flashing the stock recovery to reset your counter. Click Link below for more details.

http://androidforums.com/metropcs-galaxy-s4-all-things-root/756372-official-stock-recovery.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For T-Mobile Phone Only

Make sure to use Triangle Away to reset your counter back to 0 and status back to official.

File: M919UVUAMDL

• Download the stock firmware and extract the M919UVUAMDL_M919TMBAMDL_M919UVUAMDL_HOME.tar.md5 from the link above.
  • Backup your internal sd card to your pc.
  • Put your phone in download mode and connect it to the pc.
  • Open odin and make sure nothing is check except for auto reboot.
  • Click on PDA and select the tar file that you extracted and click start.
  • Once finish your phone should reboot and you will be completely stock again.

I did erry'thang here but is there a way to unroot the device so it doesn't show "custom" on the status?

If you need to return the phone to metro store for any reason, make sure you have the stock recovery.img flash back to the phone using odin. And make sure to use Triangle Away before flashing the stock recovery to reset your counter. Click Link below for more details.

http://androidforums.com/metropcs-galaxy-s4-all-things-root/756372-official-stock-recovery.html

Reactions: maus421
Upvote 0
IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE IT IS NOT MY FAULT!

Files Needed:

Sammy USB Drivers

TWRP 2.5.0.2

Stock.Untouch.rar

Just download it and extract the folder to your ext sd card and Do Not Rename

• Plug your phone into the computer and open the external sd card
  • On the sd card, open the TWRP folder, open the backup folder, and open the next folder
  • Drag the "Stock.Untouch" folder that you extracted from your computer into the open folder on your external sd card or internal depending on where your backing up to (you will now see 1 folders. "Stock.Untouch"
  • Power down phone and boot into recovery
  • Select "Wipe" Than select "wipe data, cache, dalvik, system.
  • Go back, choose restore, make sure external sd is selected, select "Stock.Untouch" and slide the bar to start the restore process.

When finish restoring, tap reboot and Enjoy!!! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For T-Mobile Phone Only

Make sure to use Triangle Away to reset your counter back to 0 and status back to official.

File: M919UVUAMDL

• Download the stock firmware and extract the M919UVUAMDL_M919TMBAMDL_M919UVUAMDL_HOME.tar.md5 from the link above.
  • Backup your internal sd card to your pc.
  • Put your phone in download mode and connect it to the pc.
  • Open odin and make sure nothing is check except for auto reboot.
  • Click on PDA and select the tar file that you extracted and click start.
  • Once finish your phone should reboot and you will be completely stock again.

TWRP doesn't see the stock.untouch folder in the twrp/backups folder
---------update------------
i did what nuttmeg and dcap said to do and it worked

Upvote 0
If you dont have "supersu" install it replacing your existing superuser.it will do it automatically. Next you need stock recovery so if needed flash that. Finally you need trianlge away.so now Run triangle away, go into supersu do full unroot wait a minute then shut phone off boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset.
im finally offical after following this guide.i went through twrp trying to do it that way. but you know your stuff guy. thank u again.You too nuttmeg. thank you bro

Upvote 0
Is this 4.4, 4.3, or 4.2?

If i understand correctly, if your phone came with 4.3, or higher, on it from from the manufacturer then you cannot flash anything lower than that so this information would be good to have before someone tries to flash it :D

Also, if they flash a stock/untouched 4.3 or higher they should be told that they cannot flash any stock images below 4.3 (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Upvote 0
This is a 4.2 TWRP backup. At one time it was all we had to restore our S4s. It is no longer relevant unfortunately :(
Actually, anyone still on the 4.2 bootloader can still use the info here to return the phone to official status and send it to samsung for repair under warranty.

You CAN flash a 4.2 rom if you like. You cant flash a 4.2 firmware in odin. This post is for neither so theres no warning needed.

The bootloader info is posted and linked in the sticky unofficial things root guide already.

Upvote 0
This is a 4.2 TWRP backup. At one time it was all we had to restore our S4s. It is no longer relevant unfortunately :(
Actually, anyone still on the 4.2 bootloader can still use the info here to return the phone to official status and send it to samsung for repair under warranty.

You CAN flash a 4.2 rom if you like. You cant flash a 4.2 firmware in odin. This post is for neither so theres no warning needed.

The bootloader info is posted and linked in the sticky unofficial things root guide already.

I think i understand what your saying and, if i do, then i had the wrong assumption about twrp (nandroid) backups...

I thought twrp (nandroid) backups restored any and all data, including firmware, modem, etc. (Unless you uncheck one of the options during the backup process)

Now, if i understand you correctly... your saying that this is an nandroid backup restore and not a firmware flash so someone coming from 4.3 could restore this 4.2 twrp backup safely because they'd still have the 4.3 firmware afterwards?

Sorry its just that now i'm confused as to why this twrp backup would work if coming from 4.3 firmware.

Upvote 0
Yea you got it...

You could try to restore this nandroid backup over 4.3. Flashing the system part of the backup will replace the current system partition on the phone. That means you'll get 4.2 in this case. While your bootloader is still 4.3. You would get a bunch of force closes or bootloops if you forget to do a factory reset but otherwise it should give you 4.2 rom on a 4.3 bootloader. I don't know why you'd want that.

I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you restore the boot backup over your existing boot partition. I don't think I would try it.

Upvote 0
TWRP and other custom recoveries do not backup/restore bootloaders and modems. The only way is flashing thru Odin.

Good to know!!!

I've asked the question before and the reply insinuated that an nandroid backs up absolutely everything and there is no other type of complete back up to go along with it. Good thing i asked again. Lesson: Never assume anything. :D

A how-to on backing up ones firmware is practically non-existent. I guess we just have to use the resources found through searching google/forums and download one that has been created by someone else or obtained from the manufacturer somehow? Which i'm guessing is the exact same as if you backed it up yourself, anyway.

Upvote 0
I've asked the question before and the reply insinuated that an nandroid backs up absolutely everything and there is no other type of complete back up to go along with it. A how-to on backing up ones firmware is practically non-existent.

A nandroid backs up everything of major importance. Im not aware of any other method of complete back up you could do yourself. Mmm, you could do a system pull via adb but I still dont think that is "complete". The most complete is the manufacturer firmware.

I guess we just have to use the resources found through searching google/forums and download one that has been created by someone else or obtained from the manufacturer somehow?

Thats right :)

Which i'm guessing is the exact same as if you backed it up yourself, anyway.

Nope, its not the same. The manufacturers firmware contains everything including the bootloader and all modems. A nandroid that you make with TWRP lets you backup certain partitions on your device; like system, data, boot ect. The important stuff. It doesn't back up the bootloader and modem as danyvw wrote. The only way to flash the bootloader and modem is via odin. Theres no way to "backup" these that I'm aware of. You need the manufacturers firmware to get them and flash them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones