• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] {Guide} Tethering... on MPCS & TMO F3

MY wife's LG Motion is 4.0.4
the stock tether works just fine
so I don't take anything from that jerky LOUD video on youtube

Good for U.. i guesses this wll b useful for those that don.t hav a way like u do... sorry for video.. just trying to help... U make thing very pleasant, when it come to help n ship in. .. to others.
P.S... !!!!!!! Well i better stay shut... a wise man is always concerned in how is going to affect other.

Reactions: MrGlowy
Upvote 0
Don't let that dude get you down. Obviously he didn't read that the fix is for the LG F3 instead of the LG Motion, which I had previously and was much easier to root and mod.

Again, thank you for taking the time out to help those who want it and sharing your input!

Thnx for ur cheers... really. .. some ppl deserved good, others just deserves.:stupid:

Upvote 0
I use foxfi ver 2.12.2 with wifi addon v3011
i use it on my tmo f3 and my tmo l9, both rooted.

I use the firefox addon User agent switcher on firefox and waterfox.
there is also a user agent switcher for Chrome .

Foxfi requires no extra settings , other than your Network Name , and the passowrd for it .
Security is wpa2-psk
Can also use usb tether and bluetooth tether .
Newer versions of foxfi may not work since they became part of pdaplanet .

I am able to tether other phones, laptops, desktops, tablets , and even by lg blueray player for my tv.

Remember, Aptoide is your best friend ;)

Reactions: jjfad
Upvote 0
I use foxfi ver 2.12.2 with wifi addon v3011
i use it on my tmo f3 and my tmo l9, both rooted.

I use the firefox addon User agent switcher on firefox and waterfox.
there is also a user agent switcher for Chrome .

Foxfi requires no extra settings , other than your Network Name , and the passowrd for it .
Security is wpa2-psk
Can also use usb tether and bluetooth tether .
Newer versions of foxfi may not work since they became part of pdaplanet .

I am able to tether other phones, laptops, desktops, tablets , and even by lg blueray player for my tv.

Remember, Aptoide is your best friend ;)

Doesn't work for me (using v.2.12.2, 3011 and user agent switcher). Basically I start it up and then the TMobile HotSpot program auto-starts. When I attempt to surf a web page then it defaults me to the TMo login page...

Upvote 0
Please help, it drives me nuts that Metro is winning since I can't find a way to pay them their stupid extra $10 a month. I already have unlimited 4g. So what's the deal?

Yeah this is messed up. I have successfully tethered for probably close to a year now with my old phone, the LG Connect 4G from my grandfathered $50 plan.

Yesterday I am forced to get the F3 because my Connect crapped out. I was strong armed away from my $50 plan into the $60 plan to keep my unlimited "unlimited data".

Then I tried to get mobile hotspot legitly, and they told me I could not have it with my plan >_<

I was willingly wanting to pay them an extra $10 and $5 after that each month on top of the already $10 more I pay... But they apparently dont want anymore money from me in this respect =(

Upvote 0
I couldn't get this method to work for me. Basically my computer when connecting would time out and say the connection was unsuccessful. It seems to try to keep associating after the error pops up. But it never seems to register internet on my computer or register on my phone that my computer has connected.

Also I did not see the hostapd process to kill it.

Upvote 0
is it possible to do a USB tether this way? I want a faster connection for my laptop but I do not want to have to pay tmobile extra for the tethering privelage. I am currently using wifi tether root 3.4 (experimental) on a samsung galaxy s4 and the user agent switcher 2.0

also, what if i want to mask the data being used on something other than a browser? for instance Starcraft 2 game, do i need a vpn or something?

Upvote 0
Alright ppl.. let do this and please comment so we can work more effectively.. please post results.. this is for
***MetroPCS OptimusF3

Now I use Google chrome.
you need an User Agent switcher extenssion, I use Ultimate User Agent Switcher, URL sniffer - Homepage.. you can find it in chrome market use IE9 UA

1* Download Wifi-tether for root.. https://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_3-beta2.apk

SETTINGS"
Device-Prof... Generic ICS/JB (WLAN0)
Setup-Method .. Auto
Send Netd Max Client Cmd.. (Checked)
Enable Wifi-Encryption.. leave unchecked NOT WORKING FOR NOW
Change SSID.. (your favorite)
WIFi-dirver Reload2..(checked)
Enable Access-Crontrol... (Checked)
Change LAN...Select =172.20.21.0/24
MSS clamping...(checked)
Routing fix...(Checked)
Start the app please give time for device grant access root etc,etc......

**Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.at.free
**Open task. Click on /system/bin/hotspad
**Kill on bottom
**Ur divice should connect.
Please let comp.. To identified router.. Its gonna takr sometime but it wll connect you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gztmAhhhms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also I just downloaded this wifi tether app and didn't mess with any of the settings, just used the user agent switcher 2.0 on chrome. is that okay?

I tried to alter the settings like you have but then i cannot see the network on my wifi list on my laptop. is that from changing the LAN?

Also if you could please read my first post and give me a response on that as well it would be much appreciated thanks!

Upvote 0
I couldn't get this method to work for me. Basically my computer when connecting would time out and say the connection was unsuccessful. It seems to try to keep associating after the error pops up. But it never seems to register internet on my computer or register on my phone that my computer has connected.

Also I did not see the hostapd process to kill it.
If u used the A.Tuner app on the go to task manager click on kernal (penguin) on the bottom lefth click on it. Look for system/bin/hostapd click on it n kill may b running with excluded X(red).

Reactions: SegamanXero
Upvote 0
Also I just downloaded this wifi tether app and didn't mess with any of the settings, just used the user agent switcher 2.0 on chrome. is that okay?

I tried to alter the settings like you have but then i cannot see the network on my wifi list on my laptop. is that from changing the LAN?

Also if you could please read my first post and give me a response on that as well it would be much appreciated thanks!

Ok changing the lan should not affect anything.
And no to usb tethering.

Upvote 0
You don't even need to be rooted to tether and get around tmobiles futile attempt to keep us from getting what we pay for...unlimited data.

Just download foxfi and install the desktop software and in settings check the "hide tether useage" to level 1 and you're good to go.

Just enable the phone "activate usb tether" and click "connect" at desktop and you're good to go.

You will need to buy foxfi pro or it will cut you off after some time of usage. No big deal though for a few bucks to get it.

Upvote 0
You don't even need to be rooted to tether and get around tmobiles futile attempt to keep us from getting what we pay for...unlimited data.

Just download foxfi and install the desktop software and in settings check the "hide tether useage" to level 1 and you're good to go.

Just enable the phone "activate usb tether" and click "connect" at desktop and you're good to go.

ok and how do I hide the tether in an online game like starcraft 2?

Upvote 0
If u used the A.Tuner app on the go to task manager click on kernal (penguin) on the bottom lefth click on it. Look for system/bin/hostapd click on it n kill may b running with excluded X(red).

Thanks so much for your reply. I was able to get it working with your help.

I guess I messed around with Android Tuner the first time and didn't see or missed hostapd. I also used another task manager app and enabled system stuff and didnt see it there too. I guess I missed it multiple times and gave up to easy. Lol

I got it working now, and internet from this phone is more stable and fast then when I tethered on my LG Connect 4G. Just getting tethering up is a little more complicated though.

Upvote 0
I play an online game as well and I have no major issues playing.

My main point, though, was to just throw it out there that you have an option if you don't want to root.

MetroPCS/Tmobile LTE is not bad for gaming. I was able to play Star Trek Online in the past which is a MMO. However the initial login for the launcher for that game is pretty much a web page. As the initial login on the launcher does not load, and a upsell page is instantly opened in my web browser.

What I found worked as a work around for that was that I would connect to a crap local wifi in my area to login with the launcher, and let all images and whatnot load, click next to let the updater load and before launching the game switch to my tether.

Upvote 0
Please bear with me as i'm new to the whole rooting thing. I have an Optimus F3 on MPCS. I have managed to get the tethering to work just fine following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I do have a question though. Is there a way I can prevent anyone from accessing my wifi? In the instructions it says that the "Enable Wifi-Encryption" is not working for now. I am having issues of random people connecting to my wifi once it's up and running.

Upvote 0
Please bear with me as i'm new to the whole rooting thing. I have an Optimus F3 on MPCS. I have managed to get the tethering to work just fine following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I do have a question though. Is there a way I can prevent anyone from accessing my wifi? In the instructions it says that the "Enable Wifi-Encryption" is not working for now. I am having issues of random people connecting to my wifi once it's up and running.

No one will be able to connect, people can connect but the internet will be disabled unless you authorize it. I run the tethering app all the time and it tells me when someone is trying to connect.

Reactions: Darkechoes
Upvote 0
No one will be able to connect, people can connect but the internet will be disabled unless you authorize it. I run the tethering app all the time and it tells me when someone is trying to connect.

Ok cool. I wasn't sure. When I went into the access control screen on the tethering app it would show my connection as authorized and green as well as several iphones around me connected to my wifi. They would be yellow at first, then after a few minutes show up as green as well. I was assuming they were managing to connect since there was no password enabled. Thanks for the reply :)

Upvote 0
I'm getting a "Limited Access" when connected to my laptop along with other devices. I've tried the steps 4 times, and even followed the video. Also experimented a bit with some settings, and nothing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I got it - For those having trouble with Limited Access, go to your firewall settings and add "svchost.exe".

After you do that > Start Wifi Tether > Connect > Clickk the right menu button on your phone > Access Control > Check your device

Make sure to edit the guide! :)

Upvote 0
Thanx to all those.. that have share sum`n for all to hav internet access. . Like Trevor said no boby can connect unless u autorize. It wll not slow u down either. Im not a gamer even though @ hm my brother law comes to play thanx to my gadgets jajaja) i knw that when. I messed around with the dhcpcd, we can connect online in his ps4... i sometimes use my motion as bridge antenna whem we are outside n on the motion i moved that bin/ gile out n dont have it n it connects.. it soones i get something wrking i wll get back to y

Reactions: YanderDelgado
Upvote 0
ok so what if I want to hide the tethering from tmobile while playing an online game?

Trust me they don't even knw if u are rooted or not. If u are tehering or not. The simple fact that their page comes ouy in ur browser. It just scripts that wll automatically engaged upsell.apk. n scripts.. but the don't knw shhhhtttt... i hav tmobile general manager running tehterinh thnx to me even in their stores. .. jajajaja.. my concern is not tmo or mpc is their developers that thnx to many of us ... they get paid. Fck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones