Mflops vs ROM speed?

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I have been using the Mflops people post to judge how fast a rom is running, but I just came across something that seems to contradict what I had thought. I have been using ultimate droid at 1250mhz and was able to get about 10mflops out of it. I thought it ran pretty darn fast compared to some others I tried. I now loaded up cyanogen with Bekit Kernal 7X1300LV. The operating system and all the apps are running at incredible speeds when set to 1100mhz (slower that where I was with the ultimate droid). Now I am getting 8-9mflops but it is clearly running a lot faster. Can someone explain the relationship? Is it incorrect to judge soley on Mflops?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I would take mflops with a grain of salt. They are by no means the be all end all in terms of speed. I think the long bench in setcpu has been a better indicator of speed for me. But again that is not a perfect test

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Mflops just has to do with how many polygons/triangles the system can draw, so no it doesn't really give you any idea of how fast the ROM is. Using the short/long bench's in SetCPU or more reliable for that purpose.

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Judge by how stable, smooth and fast the system seems to you. User experience is everything (although we all use those artificial benchmarks for bragging rights0. I have a baseball game called HomeRunBattle3d that taxes the hell out of my system. I know it is running well when that program doesn't crash or lag. If you notice when you run the benchmark programs each time you get different numbers. You know when your system is running fast (if I get 10 Mflops and read you get 12, all of a sudden mine seems to be running slower). JIT will improve your benches but make your phone unstable (at least for most of us). You decide what is important...

5. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! That all helps. As for Jit, I have tried it, but I can't seem to get the correct formula down. ROM, cpu speed, etc. It seems to crash on me every time. Frustrates me a bit because I love to make this thing run fast and I know some people have it working just fine. Wish I could figure it out.

6. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Wait a while. I am sure JIT will hit prime time but for me (and I have experimented with every combination you can think of), stability has always been an issue. I also want the freedom to try different setups and JIT has been a limiting factor as everything needs to be just so to keep it effective. Speed if great but not when you setup is built like a house of cards.