• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tandes21

Lurker
Oct 16, 2014
I recently bought the MHL adapter from best buy it is the white samsung one. when i followed the directions and pluged it into my tv it does not work. my phone recieves a charge but no picture appars on the tv it is just a black screen. when my friend plugged in his S5 Active the picture showed up right away. i do not know if it is my S4 that is the problem or if it is something else.

Handshaking between HDMI devices can sometimes be dicey. Try various combinations of turning on the TV first, the phone first, etc. Try connecting to a different TV. BTW Monoprice sells a fairly cheap adapter specifically for the S4 (and a couple other models) that has worked for me on every TV that I tried - I always connect the power cord to it (although it's supposed to be optional).

Upvote 0
Handshaking between HDMI devices can sometimes be dicey. Try various combinations of turning on the TV first, the phone first, etc. Try connecting to a different TV. BTW Monoprice sells a fairly cheap adapter specifically for the S4 (and a couple other models) that has worked for me on every TV that I tried - I always connect the power cord to it (although it's supposed to be optional).

Do you use the cable version or the adapter? If it's the adapter they no longer carry it. The cable is a nice idea as far as all-in-one with the male USB power portion included but 29" from the HDMI plug to the MicroUSB plug for the phone is too short and since it's a cable you can't just buy a longer cable. I wish they made this with a female HDMI so you could use your own length HDMI cable. I don't want to always stand right next to the TV to control it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones