1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Mic volume stuck on mute (i.e. no one can hear me.)Support

1. MercuryChaos

MercuryChaos New Member

Whenever I make or receive a call lately, I've been able to hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. As far as I can tell my phone isn't actually muted

Advertisement
    :
  2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Try pulling battery and holding power button for 30 sec.
    Download Volume Ace from market.
  3. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Can you use a sound recorder and capture any audio?
  4. MercuryChaos

MercuryChaos New Member

I've tried using the voice dialer, and it seems to work
  5. MacFett

Try downloading sound recorder or something like that and see if you can record something.
  6. MercuryChaos

MercuryChaos New Member

It recorded something, but the playback was really faint and crackling. I think it's something wrong with the hardware and will probably be getting a new phone.
  7. MacFett

That is exactly what I was trying to prove or disprove. I would get myself a new handset for sure.
  8. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

I would have to agree with MacFett.
  9. c3ajeff

c3ajeff New Member

Whoaaa Nelllllly.... I have an Optimus V and this very thing happened to me. It was a dark stormy night and... no, wait, it's summer time I didn't drop the phone or anything and all of a sudden no one could hear me. About a year ago I had rooted the phone and upgraded the OS so that now the phone works like it should and I really like it so I was really disappointed when this malfunction reared its ugly head. Of course, the first thing I suspected was a bug in the ROM, but after going through everything there, it clearly wasn't the ROM. Here's what it was:

There is an itty bitty hole at the bottom of the Optimus V where all your sounds go in. Inside that hole is a little rubber grommet that provides a pathway for the sound to the actual mic located on the phone's motherboard. I think that rubber grommet also dampens the sound a little. Nevertheless, if this little grommet gets out of place, what you will get is crackling static (since the grommet will come into contact with the mic surface as it vibrates) and no voice, no one will hear YOU.

Initially I experimented with this by sticking a small pin into the hole about 1mm and wiggling it slightly then testing the phone. I noted a difference! I blew into the hole and I could hear something... I hummed, I could hear it (on another phone.) OK that's progress. Now to take the phone apart.

You'll need a VERY small screw driver and some nerves. Remove the micro SD card, and be prepared for some of the buttons to fall off. It's OK you can place them back when you're ready to snap it all back together. Remove all the screws (including the one inside the battery compartment - oh yeah you have to take the battery out, dummy!)

Once you have all those little screws out, GENTLY pry the case apart. It will pop apart. Once you have it apart, you will see two screws that hold the USB connector down - you will need to remove them. Now GENTLY pry the motherboard up and place a small wedge in there to keep it up about 4-5mm. Just enough so you can peep in there and see that grommet. Now the rest is up to you - remove the grommet or re-position, it's up to you. I tried both and ended up just taking it out, my phone sounds SO much better with it out. I do realize that dust can get in there now and I may need to clean it, but no big for me. Reassemble in reverse.

OF COURSE, AS ALWAYS, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    AndyOpie150 and hiwatt like this.
  10. hiwatt

hiwatt Well-Known Member

Yep, that's more than likely what's causing the problem. Of course this sorta thing would cause 99% of the people affected to return the phone. Had this happen with a BB Pearl and that's how I fixed it. Good tip, not for everyone though.
  11. harleyfltri

harleyfltri New Member

After reading the above comment and looking at my wife's phone I noticed that when Skinomi stamped the screen protector the machine did not knock out the section over the mic. I have never had a problem on my last six Skinomi screen protectors and still feel that they are the best. They are the only ones I know of that you can remove, rinse off and re-install at any time if need be.