micro SD card 32gb?Accessories

1. nasdotcom

nasdotcom Member

Hey guys!

I'm not much of a technological wizard, and so was wonder if you could give me a hand.

I was browsing the internet for micro SD cards for my Desire HD, and came across these lot of Kingston cards.

Would the 16 or 32gb ones work? I don't understand what is meant by class etc, so would the class 4 ones available from Kingston work?

Would appreciate your help

Thanks!

:)

Advertisement
    :
  2. nasdotcom

nasdotcom Member

And would a microSDHC card work? Or do I need just a microSD card?

Thanks
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Hey Nas, welcome to AF! :)

Class denotes the read/write speed of the card, the bigger the number the better. I generally wouldn't go below Class 6 (especially if you want to record HD Video), but I've heard others say 4 is fine.

I think SDHC has different dimensions? I'll do a bit of digging for you if like? Micro SD is fine though. Rather than go for Kingston directly from the site, you might want to check out play.com, they generally have quite good deals on Micro SD Cards, I managed to pick up a 16GB, Class 10, Micro SD for
    nasdotcom likes this.
  4. nasdotcom

nasdotcom Member

5. El Presidente

No problem and yeah, I was confusing SDHC with SDXC (which is the next step up).
  6. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

SD stands for Secure Digital, and SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity. Some older phones would have been designed to work with SD cards but not SDHC ones. The Desire HD is fine with either.

One thing to remember is that SDHC cards aren't the same as microSDHC cards - the former are larger and are generally used in cameras, micro cards are much smaller and are generally used in phones.

I have been using a 32GB class 4 microSDHC card in my phone for over a year without any problem, but I haven't done any serious video work and, because speeds have risen and prices fallen since I bought my card, I'd definitely try to find something faster if I needed to replace it.

A *LOT* of people have been scammed on eBay, receiving cards that superficially appeared to be what had been ordered, but which turn out to have only a much smaller capacity, so the advice generally given here is to only buy this type of item from a known, reputable source. I've used 7dayshop and MyMemory in the past and have found them helpful and reliable.

7dayshop.com - Online shopping made easy !
    Memory Cards, Micro SD Cards, USB Memory Sticks, SD Cards, SDHC - Free Delivery
    nasdotcom and El Presidente like this.
  7. nasdotcom

nasdotcom Member

Thank you very much for the advice! I never use ebay for the likes of electronics. Will check out the links you've provided.
    Much appreciated!
  8. JohnDF1

JohnDF1 Active Member

I use a class 4 micro SD card 32gb with my desire HD, stores 7,500 photos (sad I know), plus about 1200 songs, still couple of GB for good measure. I bought it amazon, had it for last 10 months, no issue (at moment) other than HTC sync clowning about recently and giving fail messages of fail to mouynt / unmount storage device. 9Nothing wrong with the card) as I tried it as disk drive on anothe rmachine and worked fine. The photos above includes a few daft videos of wife and I on hols, but nothing to advanced.
    El Presidente likes this.
  9. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Been using a class 4 16 Gig card for about a month now. Had transferred everything off my 8 gig card as i was toiling for space. Just had a wee look just now and i have 4.9 Gig of free space left, i have no music and only a couple of pics on it. Wonder if its cm7 ARHD etc thats taking up the space on the card.
  10. El Presidente

Yeah, if you've Nandroid backups on there, they take up a fair whack. CM7 is circa 700MB for me.

Did you delete the maps etc too?
    SB13X likes this.
  11. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

No, have the maps for the UK
  12. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Prez, any idea if there's an app that will tell you exactly what on your SD card is using what amount of space. Had a look about but cant seem to find anything.
  13. El Presidente

ES File Explorer or Astro will do it. I prefer Astro though.
  14. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Got them both mate, but cant seem to figure out how to bring up a list of the apps and what size they are:confused:
  15. El Presidente

In Astro, hit menu, tools, SD Card usage. I've not used ES in a while, but I remember it being quite complicated (I think).
    murzz likes this.
  16. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Cheers mate that worked a treat. Clockworkmod is the biggest culprit, 7.55 Gig.
    Congrats on the Mod's position:)
    El Presidente likes this.
  17. El Presidente

Thanks! :)

Yeah, that's where your backups are stored, you should be safe to delete a lot of them, but it's handy to keep a couple just in case.
  18. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Right, no brainer time but thought i'd double check before i go deleting stuff. I have 5 backups of CM7, 3 taken on the 8/12 1 on the 16/12 and the last one on the 28/12, take it i can delete all but the 28/12:rolleyes:
  19. El Presidente

Just delete anything but your most recent (or move it to the PC).
    murzz likes this.
  20. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Thanks Pres, off to regain some space.:)
  21. El Presidente

No probs! :)
  22. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Back up to 10 Gig, thats better. Lovley Jubbly:D
  23. El Presidente

Excellent
  24. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder about the nandroids El P :) Need the space for more SD ROMs ;)
  25. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide