Accessories Micro SD card for T mobile G1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Baggy, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Baggy

Baggy Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Ninja
    Glasgow, Scotland
    What brand and what size? Will all cards work on this phone, and what other things do I need to take into consideration?

Advertisement
  2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

I've used a no-name 2gb, a sandisk 8gb, and now a Transcend 8gb class 6 card. All worked fine, though the class 6 card is faster. I got it because I use a swap partition on the card.

Baggy likes this.
  3. Baggy

Baggy Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Ninja
    Glasgow, Scotland
    can they all be formatted to fat32 or only some types? ive never thought of the classes how much of a difference is there between say 4 and 6

4. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

All my cards had at least some amount of FAT32 partitioning on them. My current setup is:
    7450mb FAT32
    500mb ext4
    50mb linux swap

The diff between classes 4/6 is minor but stated in the spec. Are you running a 4 now for sure? Most cards are 2. The jump between 2-4 or 2-6 is significant but the jump 4-6 is less so. If I had 4 I might have stuck with it, except I read that many/most 6 cards have wear-leveling logic built in. If true, this will extend life on my journaling/swapping setup. I have read that anything beyond class 6 would be a waste on g1 because the bottlenecks would occur in hardware somewhere.

People doing these things would get their money's worth from spending extra on class 6:

* lots of video recording, particularly HD
    * swap or journaling fs on the card
    * move big files to/from the card frequently (syncing to iTunes or whatever)

Other people could probably be happy with a cheaper, 2x larger card for the same money.

Baggy likes this.
  5. Baggy

Baggy Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Ninja
    Glasgow, Scotland
    what brand? i was thinking of trying one of ebay from China

Tags: