Micro SD Cards etc etc..

Last Updated:

1. Anderson

Anderson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok im after a class 6 16Gb card for my hero.
    First off can anyone reccommend a cheap on on tinternet
    Secondly are Micro SDHC card compatible.. sorry if this is a silly question but i aint got a clue bout memory cards
    Finally is it possible to get Class 8 micro SD cards anywhere.... ive seen them metioned but cant find a store with them

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

AllMemoryCards were the only stockists I could find holding 16GB Class 6 microSDHC cards earlier this week. I ordered the Transcend card on Monday evening and it arrived first thing Wednesday morning. No issues with the Hero whatsoever, although I took the precaution of formatting it in-phone before use.

3. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

Have you noticed a performance improvement on the phone?

4. Slug

I think so. By that I mean that the one video I'd got round to trying on the old Class 4 card defo plays more smoothly on the Class 6. It's an old WMV ripped from a game CD and converted to MP4, and occasionally stuttered on the old card (both in Hero and in my previous N95). Stutters are now a thing of the past. MP3s/WMAs were never a problem on the old card so no difference noted with them, but opening a PDF stored on the card is quicker. That's about the sum of my testing so far. I'll have more time over the weekend to play about properly. After 2 weeks with the handset I'm still finding features I wasn't aware of! :D

@Anderson: I've not come across any microSDHC cards rated higher than Class 6. I wasn't even aware that the SD Association had classifications beyond Class 2/4/6, but I've seen 32GB Panasonic SDHCs rated to Class 10.... at almost 200 quid! :eek:

5. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

How about with sliding between home screens and sliding up and down in the applications window etc? On the one hand I'd imagine it'd make no difference, but if there's any truth to the whole cache file on microSD thing then it makes sense.

6. Slug

I've not noticed any appreciable difference (yet), but with only 51 icons in the Applications window it's not laggy anyway. Btw, I'm pretty sure there's no cache on the SD card by default; I can't find anything other than the bookmark and album thumbnail folders on mine.