Micro SD Cards / performance

Last Updated:

1. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I've read that the micro sd on the Hero is in constant use and is one of the bottlenecks which contributes to the speed (or lag) which affects the handset.

As such installing a Micro SD capable of higher transfer speeds is rumoured to improve the performance of the phone.

I'm considering buying a class 6 card but they're more expensive than slower cards so I'm loath to do if there's going to be no improvement.

Has anyone replaced their card with a faster card? Did it make a difference?

Advertisement
  2. robadub

robadub Active Member

there are alot of reviews on the facebook htc fan page saying that installing class 6 cards has greatly improved lag

Login | Facebook

3. Richard diddly

Richard diddly Member

Card seems to be pretty quick have got a couple of 500meg movies on there as well no lag

4. robadub

robadub Active Member

is there a way of checking SD card speeds ?

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

The industry class the cards by their Write Speed ... there are 3 classes ... 2, 4, & 6

Class 2 is the slowest class and Class 6 is the fastest ...

6. robadub

robadub Active Member

yeh i know that thanks, i meant can i check my card to see what speed its running at ?

7. Wahwah

First off, it needs to be an SDHC card to have a class which should have a number printed on it:
    [​IMG]

See the 6 under the "C" of transcend?

If it's not SDHC then you need to get a new card if you're chasing transfer speeds/lag eradication.

8. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

I dont believe there is a phone app for checking speed of the read/write speed of the phone and a sdcard ... you just need to be aware that the speed minimums are set by the industry and any given maker must meet that standard to sell their card in that class ... The Industry only specs them fro Write speed because this is the most important for the devices they were first developed for "Cameras" so important that the Write speed be optimized so the camera is ready quickly for the next pic of video frame ...

So not sure what knowing your particular cards speed could do for you ... as long as it works for your apps ... Most of go for class 6 because it is the best possible device available ... but it ends there ... its exact speed is unimportant ...

If one manufacturer could document his cards where that much better than his competition then there would be a reason to buy one brand over another ... but i have not seen and comparisons like that ...

9. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

What about the 2GB card they include? I don't see a speed rating on it.

I'm getting an 8GB card and I made sure to get a class 6 one anyway, they're just

10. Wahwah