• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mikejkay

Feb 8, 2013
I have just spent several weeks trying to use micro SD cards (2, both 32GB) in my Note to store music and videos and have constantly had corrupted files or files/folders that mysteriously disappear! Having given up and gone back to a 16GB card I no longer have these problems. I can only conclude that the cards that I used were simply extremely poor quality (they were cheap).
My understanding is that the maximum capacity card that the Note will accommodate is 32GB. Has anyone out there used a 64GB card? Also, if 32GB is the limit does this limit apply to flash cards in a OTG adapter?

On a different subject, is there a source of the different video file types that the Note is happy with? The only files that I can play are .avi.

There are people in various 'droid forums that report having such SD issues with JB - I have not seen [until this] such with ICS on the Note classic - BUT it got my attention because I had a couple of mystery issues and did not know the culprit.
I lost a couple of apps - that is, they did not show icon, or a zombie, after a reboot. they are located on the sd card [class 4 Sandisk 32GB - supposedly the safest of safe choices]. also, on one of my older devices I found music player Mixzing was the best at finding things in folders, and ordering things by folder if I so choose [the way my brain works]. on the Note however, Mixzing cannot seem to find all the music and I wonder if it has something to do with this?
but on the whole, it seems to have no persistent operational problems with the 32gb sandisk card.

btw, to the original note above: other Jelly Bean users discredit those who claim JB has trouble with 32gb cards - so its controversial.
I have seen no class 'A' developer who supports the idea that there is anything in Jelly Bean release itself that would cause such.

As to video: I think your issue is the choice of player. Get MX Player and you have great freedom as to envelope type.

Upvote 0
There are people in various 'droid forums that report having such SD issues with JB - I have not seen [until this] such with ICS on the Note classic - BUT it got my attention because I had a couple of mystery issues and did not know the culprit.
I lost a couple of apps - that is, they did not show icon, or a zombie, after a reboot. they are located on the sd card [class 4 Sandisk 32GB - supposedly the safest of safe choices]. also, on one of my older devices I found music player Mixzing was the best at finding things in folders, and ordering things by folder if I so choose [the way my brain works]. on the Note however, Mixzing cannot seem to find all the music and I wonder if it has something to do with this?
but on the whole, it seems to have no persistent operational problems with the 32gb sandisk card.

btw, to the original note above: other Jelly Bean users discredit those who claim JB has trouble with 32gb cards - so its controversial.
I have seen no class 'A' developer who supports the idea that there is anything in Jelly Bean release itself that would cause such.

As to video: I think your issue is the choice of player. Get MX Player and you have great freedom as to envelope type.
Still on ICS I'm afraid. I have confirmed that the problem is with the micro SD cards. I ran H2testw on a card installed into a slot on my laptop and this showed that the card is totally unreliable, about 95% of the read/writes failed. Took about 7 hrs to run the test one 1 32GB card. I think that I'm going to stick with the "external" 16GB card that is in the Note and which seems to be OK and keep music and books on this card. I will run videos from a flash drive connected via an OTG USB adapter. Not ideal but should work.
Still would like to know if the Note will recognise a 64GB flash drive, anyone tried it?

Upvote 0
Good to know.

I think most people who have this problem were scammed by sellers of fake SD cards from eBay or some similar place.

My SanDisk 32GB card was slow. I formatted it, and copied all the movies (err data) back to it. It is peppy as ever.

Edit: I have a device that maxes out at 4GB. I have partitioned 8GB cards to 4GB and they worked.

Someone showed me a super cheap 1TB thumb drive that says SanDisk on it. I was suspicious. It appears to be a 4GB SanDisk silk screened to say 1TB. Someone changed the partition table. He bought this 1"Terrible Bit" drive on the street market in China. SanDisk does not make a 1TB drive yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones