Micro SD class 2 or 4 for my HTC DesireAccessories

Last Updated:

1. cala

cala Member This Topic's Starter

Guys, I'm in need of a newer higher capacity micro SD card (instead of the default 2GB), but which one should i have?

the standard micro SD entry level is class 2, but if i were to use this, will it lag my HTC Desire? or should i opt for the next level, which is class 4?

I know memory card is important for high load hardwares such as digital camera. Wonder if class 4 is an overkill for a HP?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. cheers!

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

to be honest it depends what your planing to use the phone for, if you are going to be uploading lots of music to it, or using the camcorder a lot especially using 720p video, or playing movies from it or games, then you really want a class 6 card, otherwise a class 4 will do. Class 2 is really a bit slow unless you are just going to use your desire like a dumb phone and not make use of its features, the only reason it is supplied with a class 2 is because they are saving money by doing so.

3. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

I accidentally purchased a class 2 SDcard since it was sitting with the pile of class 4 sticks, anyways it seems to be fine for most things but I don't use the camcorder. It will matter most when you record alot of video and use apps2SD's dalvik-cache feature, which mine is using but haven't had a hiccup yet.

4. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

Class means the sd card should be upto spec, however, ALOT of class 2 cards perform near class 6. Risk i know. If you got the money, get the higher class, or gamble. It might pay off however ;)

5. cubano07x

cubano07x Member

If you do a search in these forums you'll find out that all the "classes" mean is that it raises the "minimum" mb/s transfer rate and not the maximum. So, a class 2 could be, for example... 7 mb/s - 50 mb/s, class 4 14mb/s - 50 mb/s, and class 6 35 mb/s-50 mb/s....these are just fake figures, to give you an idea on what i was talking about.

6. zigson

zigson Member

Conventional wisdom on the forums says you need a higher class to cope with higher definition video, but as far as I know, this is just based on assumptions. I honestly
    can't tell the difference between videos recorded on my class 2 and class 6 cards.

7. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

My class 2 card works perfectly fine,just stick to the top brands and avoid Ebay and you'll most likely be fine.;)

8. Androidin'

Androidin' Active Member

I bought a 16gb Kingston class 4 card to replace the Samsung 8gb class2 that came with the phone. Don't notice much of a difference really, except maybe transferring music to the new card seemed faster. For $40CDN for a brand name 16gb card, the fact it was a class 4 was just an added bonus.