micro USB charger not workingGeneral

1. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'm trying to use a kindle fire charger for the Nexus 4, but it won't charge the phone, is this standard with micro USB that some chargers work and some don't?

I was excited that I had all these extra chargers, but now I'm not off to a good start.

Advertisement
    :
  2. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

I don't know about that but I've used my HTC and my wife's HTC charger with no problems and my wifes old LG charger, in fact the only one I haven't used is the Nexus 4 :D
  3. Android802

Android802 Active Member

In my experience, some cables will work with my phone while others don't. You say that you have multiple cables so if thats the case just keep trying one until you find one that works.

As far as I know, some cables are charge only, some are data only, and some are charge/data.

IDK, just MHO.
  4. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

I know my sister-in-law had difficulty finding a charging cable that would work with her kindle fire. I guess it works (or doesn't) both ways.
  5. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Yah maybe that's it.

I am using another 3rd party micro usb charger and it's working fine.
  6. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Well-Known Member

It's possible the Kindle Fire charger is proprietary and not actually microUSB. I know the Nook Color has this problem; its charger is slightly longer than a standard microUSB, so it won't work in other devices and the Nook won't charge with a standard microUSB.

Try other chargers, though. As long as it's a standard microUSB, it should charge the N4 just fine.
  7. steslatt

steslatt Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of 2m USB leads off amazon. They don't work with my nexus but work fine with my partners sony xperia.
  8. nwaves

nwaves Well-Known Member

My experience:
    Original charger 1.5 A
    3 ft cable - shows AC charge, fast charge
    6 ft cable - can' make up it's mind, it's either AC charge or USB charge. Sometimes is switches between them during the charging cycle. Very weird!
    10 ft cables - shows USB charge, slow charge
    Motorola charger 0.8A
    Shows USB charge, slow charge regardless of the cable length.
    Generic no-name dualport 1A charger
    3&6 ft cables - AC charge
    10 ft cables - USB charge
  9. enigmadroid

enigmadroid Well-Known Member

FWIW another thing to look at with using wall chargers other than the one that came with the device is the voltage. If it's a different voltage than what you have with stock wall charger it could shorten the life of your battery. I know this thread is about MicroUSB but I thought I'd throw that out there.
  10. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Your advice is welcome
  11. nwaves

nwaves Well-Known Member

All USB chargers have the same output voltage of 5 V. The difference between chargers is the supplied current and that's measured in A (amps).
  12. jirok

jirok Well-Known Member

It might stand to note that its also a slim port so maybe that has something to do with it but probably not. After all, micro usb ports tend to vary in depth so sometimes the pins don't match up with shorter chargers or vice-verse.