• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro USB port to connect peripherals

I believe the Micro USB port at the bottom should be compatible with USB peripherals. I'm planning to connect my external hard drive. The problem is finding a cable that for connection. I either need a Male Micro USB to Male Micro USB. Or a Male Micro USB to Female "A" USB. Anyone try this out? It sure sounded like this is possible when I talked to a Motorola employee at CES.

the xoom is not a host device so you will not be able to connect with the external device. you also need an OTG type cable for peripherals once (!!) moto releases a patch for host functionality..

Yes thats the key, that XOOM does not have host capabilities at the moment, but it has been all but confirmed by many sources (including in the official Moto Xoom forum by the Moto tech who worked on the USB for the Xoom) that a software update will be forthcoming...that is assuming the android community doesn't come up with a hack/fix before that (which I'm fully confident will happen).

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I believe the Micro USB port at the bottom should be compatible with USB peripherals. I'm planning to connect my external hard drive. The problem is finding a cable that for connection. I either need a Male Micro USB to Male Micro USB. Or a Male Micro USB to Female "A" USB. Anyone try this out? It sure sounded like this is possible when I talked to a Motorola employee at CES.

I tried this it will not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones