• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Microphone not working incoming call ?!?

I also have this issue, although for me the microphone stopped working altogether. It didn't matter whether it was an incoming or outgoing call and the voice search / voice record did not pick up any sound either. I thought it was a hardware fault although now I'm not so sure.

I got the phone on T-Mobile through a 3rd party (Mobile Phones Direct) and after 15 days the fault occurred. I did numerous soft / hard resets and tried switching to GSM only, etc. per the advice in this thread but nothing worked and it ended up going back to HTC for repair (Mobile Phones Direct returns policy is 14 days and they refused to exchange).

My phone came back today and the issue has not been fixed. They installed 2.2 on the phone while it was being repaired but this hasn't made any difference (except I can no longer find a way to do a factory reset through the phone menus!)

HTC are picking my phone up again tomorrow and it will no doubt take another 2 weeks to get it back.

I am not a happy bunny - I do love the phone but if I can't actually use it as a phone (i.e. speak to people!) then I'm going to have to consider my options as this is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
My HTC Desire's started doing this more frequently since moving to Froyo. It's on Orange, but unlocked and unbranded (despite recently being replaced by HTC for having a faulty proximity sensor).

My two most important calls of the day (one for a taxi and one for a Chinese - that's really important) both went muted on the first try and worked fine on the second. I experimented with phoning my landline and it looks like alternate calls are being muted. Looks to me like something in Android is toggling the mute instead of simply unmuting it, which it's supposed to do when a call is made. My money's on it being a software/hardware mismatch, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong when it gets fixed.

Some people have found that they can unmute the call by pressing mute on the touchscreen a couple of times, but I couldn't get that to work in my tests.

My next test will be to get a working call and, just before ending it, mute the call and end it. Then see if the next call works correctly. Perhaps ending the call while muted would get it toggled back to unmuted when the next call starts. If so, it's a clue for the Android developers to look at.

Upvote 0
Hi I'm in Australia and having all of the above mentioned issues and it's been happening since I got the phone which was about 4 months ago and now I am locked into a contract with Telstra for 24 months.. I have tried various things, It also happens when using my car's hand free I answer they cannot hear me I can hear them please help thanks

Upvote 0
I've just started experiencing this issue. I've had my Desire for 8 months and it started happening about 2-3 weeks ago.

I'm on Orange but have a non-branded handset running Froyo.

It occurs on both making and receiving calls, It also occurs on the handset and when connected via bluetooth.

I've tried factory defaulting my handset, but this has not worked.

Has anyone had any luck in getting this resolved? I've just started testing with GSM only enabled, but can't comment on the result as I've only just switched to that. But in my opinion this is not a solution as I refuse to run a "smart" phone without 3g. I might as well go and buy a 1st Gen iPhone!

Would really like some feedback if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Bruno

Upvote 0
I bought a couple of Desire HD phones in Singapore (I live in Australia) - One of the phones recieved an automatic upgrade which seemed to activate the mute button permantly during phone calls.I can hear the caller , but the caller cannot hear me.
I have checked the microphone still works - I am able to make a Skype call and send voice msgs.
Has anybody else experienced this problem - I would think that there would be a patch or download some where to correct the fault - otherwise I am to send the unit back to Singapore (at my cost both ways via DHL) because HTC company policy will not allow it to be fixed in Australia:mad:

user_online.gif

progress.gif

Upvote 0
Hi,

I hope this toothbrush trick helps you too.

My HTC Desire HD mic was not working. I cant record anything on my voice recorder nor can the caller hear my voice clearly (Mind you, they can hear a faint voice, so that means my mic is not broken. To check if your mic is damaged, switch on your voice recorder, tap the phone with your finger and check if the sound-bars move and you hear a faint tapping sound. If it does, your mic is fine)

I called HTC and they asked me to send the phone and that they would check. I even checked local phone repairs and they charged around $70-90. I tried other solutions: removing my cover, clearing mic hole with staple, taping the rear mic, factory resetting, installing sound apps and others. Nothing helped. But then I read a couple of threaders suggesting that I clean the mic hole with toothbrush.

I passed in three-four bristles of my tooth brush and moved in ways I thought would clean the insides firmly but not too strong I did it several times, may be five-ten times, and then recorded my voice on my recorder and voila! It worked, at least for me. Make sure you clean it several times.

BTW, with my mic not responding to many kind solutions suggested in the many forums, I forgot to keep track of those who suggested me the toothbrush trick. But, I owe you guys for everything. You saved my day and my money too.

I am not an computer and electronic geek like many of you, but because it helped me, I wished it would save the day for you too. Good Luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones