1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Microsd card compatibility/formatting discussion

1. GODHOOD

GODHOOD Active Member

I think I'll just get a 16g or 32g class 6, I really don't use a whole lot of memory on my SD cards. Most of the time I usually transfer my photos & music from the phone straight to my computer. On the other hand I do download movies to my phone so I will need the extra space.
  2. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i agree with you... in most cases.. speed would not be a big deal.

given that you have 16gb on board... that will be where most of the access will be.. from apps. they should hardly ever touch the SDcard. so normal playing around and usage of the phone.. it will mostly use the internal faster memory.

SDcard then is pushed to personal data: Photos, videos storage ...

the only real issue would be with camera speed... if you select it to save directly to the SDcard.. the faster that is finished saving the faster it can take another pic.
    BenChase7 likes this.
  3. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, but just to offer a counterpoint -- increased class speeds come at an increased risk of failure/lack of reliability (just check out the Lexar Class 10 32 GB MicroSD reviews on Amazon) and also (for some of the less known cards) reduced random seek and transfer times in order to improve the sequential transfer times that the Class rating is based upon.

Just food for thought.
    CriticalCritic and PyroSporker like this.
  4. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

I hate the ever long battle of card brands and class ratings, but excellent post Neo. It is cool to have a great mind like yours around again (I vacationed in Evo 3D land for a year).

You summed that up very succinctly, I'm definitely in agreement. Over the years of reading reviews, that the lesser known brands have often been more volatile and over time may have a higher failure rate it seems.

Transcend, Patriot, ADATA, etc. are some of the "off brands" that I think possibly utilize cheaper parts or craftsmanship and sometimes have a higher failure rate. Many people have also reported their SD card underperforming in accordance to the card's write speed class rating - on the other hand others have reported higher transfer speeds than their card's class.

Not to sound like a snob, but personally I would not chance things with anything but Sandisk, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice. That does not mean that Sandisk does not fail or are inherently better, because many people have plenty of luck with other brand cards. Its just a situation where sometimes you may get what you pay for. I think there is a reason that alot of fakes and knockoffs are rebranded and repackaged as Sandisk. How does it go, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

More or less like you were saying I seem to remember a tech blog story a little while back that found and proved that the file system of a larger capacity class 10 card took longer to read and write smaller files, and recall them, than a smaller capacity lower classed card. Proving the theory that bigger and faster is not always better. You stated it much clearer though.
  5. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words! :)

It's great to be back what with all the new excitement in the air for the new heir to the Evo throne. Though I like my Evo 3D a lot, it was a let down in many ways compared to the standard set by the iPhone 4. It finally looks like the LTEvo is poised to really push the boundaries for smart phone devices.

ps - oh and I was debating putting my own recommendation in my prior post, but yes, Sandisk is really where it's at when it comes to performance and reliability. Unfortunately, that comes at a higher cost than most other flash mfrs.
  6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

you get what you pay for, more so in technology than anything else IMHO...

i'm currently running sandisk 32gb and i love it. no need to upgrade for me, unless i just want to say i have 80gb hahaha
  7. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

You always had a good head on your shoulders. I had forgotten that you had purchased the Evo 3D as well. I was thinking maybe you stuck it out with the Evo 4G. You were on the fence somewhat like I was I might be recalling? After the Evo 3D was out for a bit everybody posted less. Especially that Novox character. :eek: (Just kidding, now there's someone else with a good head on their shoulders)

Its great when people are posting and excited for a new device, everybody is welcome here. :cool:
  8. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

scandisk is great.. lifetime warranty...

i called them up last summer on my 16gb.. gave them the SN on it.. they said no problem.. send it in.. no need to prove when or if you purchased it.. lifetime warranty!
    drexappeal likes this.
  9. EvoGeek

EvoGeek Active Member

marctronixx, drexappeal and dan330 like this.
  10. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I never knew that.
  11. larry1975

larry1975 Member

recieved my sandisk from best buy today formatted it loaded my 30gigs of music so far so good, the only brand i trust is sandisk lifetime warranty no questions asked.

also i left sprint and went to t-mobile got the htc amaze 4g
  12. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

Now if the 64 gigs work in the Evo lte with the 16 that's on board....that would be awesome.
  13. drexappeal

It'd be very disappointing if it didn't, considering it works flawlessly with my Photon right now. And the Photon has the same amount of internal storage as the EVO LTE.
  14. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

Hooray. 64 gig cards for all and to all a good night.
  15. drexappeal

16. PittsPgh

PittsPgh Member

CriticalCritic likes this.
  17. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Ouch, some of the reviews on that are saying it's actually a rebadged class 4 card. Don't see how that can be legal.
  18. PittsPgh

PittsPgh Member

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't read the reviews at the time I ordered it. Which is unusual for me.

But they have several brand cards in the reviews. I just went through about ten pages of reviews for it now. It seems the "unbranded" cards are the ones people had problems with. I ordered the Samsung card. That seems to get good reviews. Read "Newest First" reviews.

Mine should be in by the weekend. I can post an update here if you or anyone else likes.

Paul
  19. n8nagel

n8nagel Member

20. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

21. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Heh, don't have to imagine, I've had that on my phone since last September!

If anyone has any doubt I can tell you they'll work in this phone, as they do in every single Android device they've ever been tried in (do need to be formatted to Fat32 rather than their native exFAT which means you lose some speed, but not enough to cause problems). I've personally confirmed these work in the following: S1, S2, Note, Razr, Sensation, Transformer, Transformer Prime, Tab 7.7, Archos G9 Turbo, Photon, many other devices have been confirmed by other uses. Basically no Android device has been unable to use these.
    dan330 likes this.
  22. drexappeal

marctronixx likes this.
  23. ajbrickyard

ajbrickyard Well-Known Member

24. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be a grammar nazi but... that packaging doesn't instill much confidence in me.