MicroSD Card Question

Last Updated:

1. mystik1

mystik1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is this the 32GB option that is compatible with the Motorola Droid? Thank you.

SanDisk

Advertisement
  2. PreciousMetal

PreciousMetal Member

That will work just fine. 199 is way too much money for that chip. Look on ebay.

3. mystik1

Thanks much for the confirmation. I have looked on eBay, though, and don't see anything there at a better price. I know it's expensive, but someone has been nagging me to come up with something I want for my birthday. So... :D

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

make it 5 - and send me 1. :D

5. mystik1

6. PreciousMetal

PreciousMetal Member

Pricewatch.com has better prices than ebay, try there

7. mystik1

Nothing seemed to come up there either. I think it is only available for sell from them directly at this time, perhaps.

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Amazon and Newegg don't have 32GB MicroSD cards at the moment either. I still don't think a 32GB MicroSD card for $200 is worth it at all.

9. johnny99

johnny99 Active Member

Never buy memory cards from EBay. Too many counterfeits out there (which may be defective or even outright fraudulent).

There was a story recently that Android cannot format 32GB cards, but you can probably format them in your PC. Google has promised to fix Android in the future.

10. johnny99

johnny99 Active Member

Never buy memory cards from EBay. Too many counterfeits out there (which may be defective or even outright fraudulent).

There was a story recently that Android cannot format 32GB cards, but you can probably format them in your PC. Google has promised to fix Android in the future.

11. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Just so you know, apparently Android is having a few problems formatting SD cards over 16GB. Apparently, the only work around at this time is to format it by other means (camera, PC, etc.) and see if that helps the situation. Google is working on this but says it won't be released until the next software update.

Edit: Oops, what he said above!

12. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member

good news is - android has fixed the problem with formatting the 32gb sd card,
    bad news is we wont see it till the next ota update, whenever that wil be
    so hold out till the ota and maybe the prices will drop alot more

13. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

The next OTA? It'll probably be promised to be delivered within the next week, get delayed to the summer, and then a week before it's scheduled to get released, it'll get delayed to 12/21/2012. :rolleyes:

It'll probably be in the next (or maybe it's already in) AOSP merge that Cyanogen does.

14. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? Pop the little bugger out and format it on your computer. I've yet to format with my phone. $199 is a bit spendy though.

15. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

I want a 32GB so bad, I use my Droid as my ipod and I have around 200mb left!

16. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

For everyone saying $200 is not a good price for this card, you're part right but mostly wrong. 32GB MicroSD cards have only been on the market for the last couple months, and currently SanDisk is the only company selling them, and to top it off they are ONLY available online at the address the poster linked to. So while I'm hopeful that the price will drop when other companies manage to bring a 32GB MicroSD card to the market, currently SanDisk is the only supplier of these cards in the US (and anywhere else that I know of), so they can effectively charge whatever they want and they'll sell. Only competition can bring the price down to what most of us would consider reasonable.

17. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Good grief how could you possibly spend that kind of money on a memory card???? You spent 200 on this ENTIRE phone with a 16 in it!!! Wow I can not imagine spending that much money on it lol. I would wait for a price drop. Also what are you needing so badly that will not fit on 16 gb??

18. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

As an aside;
    Sandisk has a fantastic track record in the market. They've been in the black for years, and currently own most of the patents on SS memory technology. Samsung also owns patents, and currently has contracts with the military for SS HDD production.
    Both of these companies are worth buying into, but Sandisk may be the Intel of the future with regards to memory in every non-Sony, non-Apple piece of gadgetry.

19. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

You need to understand that $200 is the subsidized cost of the device from Verizon and not indicative of the true cost the device, which without a contract sells for over $500. I have well over 100GB of music on my PC so I would really like to get the 32GB card, but I'll wait for the price to drop. $200 is actually a fair price right now considering that it's technology that just hit the market in the last 2 months and the 32GB MicroSD cards are currently only available from one company (SanDisk).

20. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Well I guess that is true and it is a very new technology and I can see why they would charge so much. Also with that much music go right ahead lol