• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MicroSD File Number Limit? Help!

Seinen

Nov 13, 2013
Hello everyone!

I recently got a Samsung microSD 64 GB class 10 card and thought I was fine for life to put whatever I wanted in it... how wrong I was!

I started copying various movies in it, to have them always available and I noticed that after 6 or 7 movies the rest become corrupted! Every time!

I tried everything, starting from changing the card's format from exFAT to FAT32 then to NTFS (and installed an NTFS mounter in the last case) but nothing... after 6-7 movies they still become corrupted (I used both an SD card adapter+reader already existing in my laptop, an USB adapter and even the USB cable via the mobile)!

So after some extensive googling I found that others have had the same problem also (in this forum too) and what they found is that the card's root directory has a file number limit and thus the solution would be to create many subfolders.

Thing is, while I tried copying in the root directory too, the very first attempt I did was copying a whole movie folder in the card, so I had a subdirectory from the very beginning and it didn't work!

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that it's a class 10 card, I read that the smaller the class the better the card, but I figured that it would be a matter of reading/writing speed, which I don't mind being low... but not being able to copy a large number of files, which is what I paid for, is a truly enraging matter.
With only 10~something GBs of movies being able to be copied in the card everytime, it makes the remaing 50 GBs of the card useless, dammit!

If anyone has a solution to offer, I would truly appreciate it! :smokingsomb:

Are you sure you have a real Samsung card? There are bogus cards that report larger sizes than what they really are. There's a thread here someplace of someone you bought a cheap card on eBay and then discovered it was bogus.
Yeah I indeed bought it on eBay and read about the bogus cards here and there.

I was just testing it with with the H2testw program, but it said 5 hours were needed so I quit for now, I hoped on something more immediate.
If you happen to know, please share.

In any case, you mean that an "original/normal" samsung microSD card would never have this file number issue and you should be able to copy as many files as you like, as long as you have free space?

Upvote 0
In any case, you mean that an "original/normal" samsung microSD card would never have this file number issue and you should be able to copy as many files as you like, as long as you have free space?

I'm not even certain that microSD cards have that limit, because I haven't run into that kind of an issue since computers ran DOS. I don't know what the root directory limit is on modern file systems.

From reading your post it sounded like your problem wasn't entirely the root file limit issue. It sounded like you tried to copy into sub-directories too, and that didn't work either. Maybe I misread your post, but that's what caused me to question the card.

Upvote 0
From reading your post it sounded like your problem wasn't entirely the root file limit issue. It sounded like you tried to copy into sub-directories too, and that didn't work either. Maybe I misread your post, but that's what caused me to question the card.

Yeah, that's what I did indeed.

After all these tries I'm starting to see it your way, I guess I'll have to test the actual card space to be sure at this point, unless someone else has another solution to offer.

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, please report the end result.

BTW, I had a Sandisc card I bought from Amazon direct (not one of their resellers) and I was having issues with it. I now wish I'd tested it further. Buying direct from Amazon for normal prices I wasn't concerned about it being counterfeit, but maybe I should have been.

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, please report the end result.

BTW, I had a Sandisc card I bought from Amazon direct (not one of their resellers) and I was having issues with it. I now wish I'd tested it further. Buying direct from Amazon for normal prices I wasn't concerned about it being counterfeit, but maybe I should have been.

I sure will, I'm testing it atm, but as I said it will take many hours.

I already scanned the barcode and the google results pointed at 32 GB cards most of the time, though some had 64 GB cards too (and 32 gb would be kind of fine too, compared to the ~8 GB i get).

Regarding your card, you said "had", what happened to it? Returned it? Broke? If you still have it you can always check it like I'm doing.

Upvote 0
OK, the testing finished and as we guessed the card was fake or just defective. Out of the 64 GB, only 7.7 are "effective".

On the bright side, I contacted the seller and he gave me a full refund on the card, without having to send it back.
I didn't get the shipment fees back however, but I still got to keep 7.7 working GB, which are always a good storage space, not bad.

So I'm guessing it was just a defective card, since the seller was available for a quick refund... that, or it was a fake one, but the seller wasn't aware.

Anyway, I'll search for another 64 GB one now, but from a more reliable source this time. Here is the H2testw log by the way:

Warning: Only 63494 of 63496 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
7.7 GByte OK (16301623 sectors)
54.2 GByte DATA LOST (113734089 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
54.2 GByte corrupted (113734089 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001f17c6e00
Expected: 0x00000001f17c6e00
Found: 0x7a9c9225d70583e0
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 6.54 MByte/s
Reading speed: 14.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So, problem solved for now. :D

Upvote 0
OP, just so you will know. The higher the Class number on an sd card, the faster the card is. So you want a card with a higher number, i.e., class 10 is preferable over class 2.
Wow, I was under the impression that smaller class = better card (for read/write rates I guessed, or something else), I must have misread then.

Thanks for sharing this info. :santaclaus:

Upvote 0
Hello everyone!

I recently got a Samsung microSD 64 GB class 10 card and thought I was fine for life to put whatever I wanted in it... how wrong I was!

I started copying various movies in it, to have them always available and I noticed that after 6 or 7 movies the rest become corrupted! Every time!

I tried everything, starting from changing the card's format from exFAT to FAT32 then to NTFS (and installed an NTFS mounter in the last case) but nothing... after 6-7 movies they still become corrupted (I used both an SD card adapter+reader already existing in my laptop, an USB adapter and even the USB cable via the mobile)!

If anyone has a solution to offer, I would truly appreciate it! :smokingsomb:

I have 23 movies on my Samsung Class 10 SdCard, and have room for more.
ALL THE MOVIES play fine on both the phone and my computer. I formatted mine to FAT32 using sdformatter.

Upvote 0
Personally if it were me I'd pitch that bad card. If 50+ Gb is already bad who's to say how long the rest will last.

It's ok, I won't put any important/essential stuff in these 8 GBs anyway, just some movies... so even if the card breaks for good it won't mind.

I'll buy a new 64 GB card these days anyway, from a more trusted source this time.

The other possibility is that it was an 8GB card branded as a 64GB card. I suspect that's how they make the fakes--mis-labeling.

Yeah, the PC and mobile showed 64 GB, the only way to determine the actual space was with the test program.

Since the seller gave me my money back though, like I said, I suspect the card maybe was just defective... or the seller wasn't aware it was fake (or he was just hoping I wouldn't notice before I put my feedback comment, thank god I always wait :rolleyes:).

I have 23 movies on my Samsung Class 10 SdCard, and have room for more.
ALL THE MOVIES play fine on both the phone and my computer. I formatted mine to FAT32 using sdformatter.
From what I understood even formatting the card into another format is a luxury (in this case, not generally) and exFAT is fine in itself, so yeah it wasn't a format thing, movies should be stored fine and non-corrupted in every working card... I knew something was wrong. :D

Upvote 0
Ha! I knew something was off with my card... I bought a new one today and of the 64 GB the PC shows 58,5 as actual space, whereas the old card showed 62 GB. I know that the bigger the storage, the bigger the "stolen space" as I like to call it, so when I noticed the first card had 62 GB it seemed too good to be true, that I "lost" only 2 GB out of 64!

I ran a test in the new one and everything is perfect too, at last! :rolleyes:

So it seems my first card was fake after all, I don't think the fact above about the space shown is a coincidence. :D

Upvote 0
So I'm guessing it was just a defective card, since the seller was available for a quick refund... that, or it was a fake one, but the seller wasn't aware.
You guess wrongly.

These people know perfectly well that they are selling fake cards, principally because they are so cheap. They refund your money immediately in the hope that you won't post negative feedback saying that they sold you a fake card so that they can carry on conning people. The next unfortunate victim of this person may use the card to take pictures of their sister's wedding or the baptism of their nephew and lose the only pictures they have of a once in a lifetime event.

They are all shysters and you should leave feedback saying it was a fake card. After all, you lost out on the P&P to a crook and you have a duty to other eBayers. I hate them.

Upvote 0
Wow, I was under the impression that smaller class = better card (for read/write rates I guessed, or something else), I must have misread then.

Thanks for sharing this info. :santaclaus:

Higher class is not always necessary though. Unless your are recording HD video, it's unlikely you need Class 10. However it appears that 64GB cards tend to be Class 10 anyway, probably because they are typically used for photography or video recording.

Upvote 0
Higher class is not always necessary though. Unless your are recording HD video, it's unlikely you need Class 10. However it appears that 64GB cards tend to be Class 10 anyway, probably because they are typically used for photography or video recording.

I would guess it's because they are a more recent design and thus more likely to use the most modern design.

Stated differently, I don't think it would make economic sense for a company to develop two 64GB cards of different classes. I don't think they would ever recoup the extra cost. If they make two 16GB or 32GB cards it's probably that they were developed at different points in time, with the Class 10 being the second design.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones