MicroSDHC card speeds

Last Updated:

1. hunta

hunta Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone confirm what real-world difference a fast card would make in the Nexus One? I wouldn't necessarily have thought you need a 6 speed card for playing music and viewing pictures. If it's just quicker write speeds when transferring data I'm happy to wait.

Anyone know how I can tell what speed the shipped 4GB card is (other than assuming Google wouldn't be blowing cash unnecessarily...)?

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

The card it comes with is a SanDisk (from memory, I know I put a SanDisk 8Gb one back in as well) one, apparently they're 15Mb/s.

3. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

IIRC the shipped microSD card is a class 4. Picture viewing and music arent necessarily affected as much as transfer (loading/removing files, taking pics with the camera...) Whatever the case i swapped the 4GB for an 8GB class 6 i had in my MT3G

4. Nexoid

Nexoid Well-Known Member

5. hunta

How can you tell the speed of the card? Is it the number inside the large C (for class...?)? If so, the one that shipped with my N1 is a class 2.

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Yes, the class should be written like that. Quite small in most cases I think.

I don't see much difference between the Class 2 and 6 in practice.

Maybe if we get apps to SD and other such extra uses it may come into its own.

7. hunta

Thanks all. I've ordered a 16GB 6 speed. Cheapest I could find here in the UK was from the 3 Accessories website for

8. jthreads

jthreads Well-Known Member

9. hunta

That's the one, though I now notice it's showing as out of stock... Either I got the last one (lucky) or stock changed while I was ordering (unlucky). I'm not a lucky type so I think I know the answer!

If and when it shows up I'll let you know how I get on.

10. jthreads

jthreads Well-Known Member

Thanks

11. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

my phone also came with a 4gb class 2. i bought a 16gb class 2 for $35 at compusa and it works great. (they actually sell the card for $48 but i called and they told me $35. when i drove there they told me the right price but the manager was nice enough to give it to me for what i was originally told.)