• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root microSDHC cards instability?

Was wondering if anyone else has had problems using microSDHC cards with a rooted Prevail phone. I've tried a few different custom ROM's (CTMOD 3.72, 3.80, CM7, etc.) but I always have stability problems with the microSDHC cards. I purchased a brand new SanDisk 16GB Ultra, had problems, thought the card was faulty, returned it for a new one, had the same problems. When I put the old 8GB microSD back in, I have little, or no issues :thinking:

can you elaborate on Issues/faulty? running swap, SSM How partitioned etc... I have flashed ctmod, cm7 a few times never any issues with cards?

Issues mainly being freezing up. Have to reboot. I have tried partitioning with MiniTool Partition Wizard, and also with the built in partition tool (recently from CTMOD 3.80) using data, and swap. I always wipe dalvik, and ext cache several times before flashing new rom. I usually have better luck with baseband EJ06, but nothing really helps with the microSDHC card installed.

Upvote 0
Issues mainly being freezing up. Have to reboot. I have tried partitioning with MiniTool Partition Wizard, and also with the built in partition tool (recently from CTMOD 3.80) using data, and swap. I always wipe dalvik, and ext cache several times before flashing new rom. I usually have better luck with baseband EJ06, but nothing really helps with the microSDHC card installed.

I second this. I bought the exact same card only the 32gb, and when using swap,dataSSM,it would constantly freeze and or reboot. Sometimes on reboot it would go into bootloop,and would have to reboot (holding down power button)about 5x before it would boot up.I put my old card back in(which was already wiped for the wifes phone),and now I have no trouble at all. I

I dont know if its the Sandisk Ultras, all Sandisk SDHC, or all SDHC cards period. Either way, I think a thread should be made, and put in the root for dummies sticky, listing which cards work/dont work for the kick ass features that Kouma (name drop)has brought to our over achieving phone.:D

Reactions: GingerC76
Upvote 0
I second this. I bought the exact same card only the 32gb, and when using swap,dataSSM,it would constantly freeze and or reboot. Sometimes on reboot it would go into bootloop,and would have to reboot (holding down power button)about 5x before it would boot up.I put my old card back in(which was already wiped for the wifes phone),and now I have no trouble at all. I

I dont know if its the Sandisk Ultras, all Sandisk SDHC, or all SDHC cards period. Either way, I think a thread should be made, and put in the root for dummies sticky, listing which cards work/dont work for the kick ass features that Kouma (name drop)has brought to our over achieving phone.:D

If you guys make a thread, I'll be happy to link it to the guide :)

Upvote 0
I just went through a major headache with my Prevail out of now where had apps starting to crash one after another like crazy. First user then system. I thought my phone had finally met the end as I could not get it to boot up no matter what I did. Turns out it was the 16 gig ScanDisk Ultra SDHC micro sdcard I had just bought a few months prior had gone bad. Stuck an old Kingston 2 gig sdcard in, flashed ROM and it booted right up. SMH I am glad of course that it wasn't my phone but really disappointed that the ScanDisk Ultra SDHC didn't last any longer than 3 months. Went to wallyworld last night and picked up a PNY 16g class 10 SDHC, see how this one holds up?

LMAO: I just saw my earlier post where I stated that I have never had any issues with my SD card. smh That's what I get for opening my mouth

Upvote 0
i have had problems with microSDHC cards before. The problems only seem to exist with bigger cards (16 gb, 32gb) i put a 32gb card in my first prevail and my whole system fried. Im thinking the prevail is just to low of a phone to handle the bigger cards. I have a 8gb card in mine and it works fine, just a little lag here and there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones