• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Microsoft building Android launcher??

Absolutely. :)

fonts.jpg

D3-Capsulism-Katakana0.png

funamori-KatakanaA.png

Edit - ninja'd lol
Wow Dude, that's pretty Cool! [emoji16] Right on!

Upvote 0
Fonts can be very dangerous if not properly controlled and tamed. Remember years ago when someone decided to write a local church newsletter in bellbottom, just because they got a new computer, having previously authored the newsletter on a typewriter.

9732a92313c204ecf2d6621bf14a3d7e.jpg

I've wondered how many people might have damaged their job prospects and been declined interviews, just because they wrote their resumes and CVs in comic-sans.

Upvote 0
FWIW there are some languages that don't tend to have much variation.

Like Mongolian, really because there's usually only one Mongolian font included in Windows and Microsoft Word, so anything printed always looks the same, and absolutely nothing "casual" or "decorative" or "cute"... :thumbsupdroid:
mongolian.jpg

...and the orientation is correct, it's written and read vertically, top to bottom.

Upvote 0
No but that along with their plans to support Android apps on their mobile platform makes it clear that perhaps Microsoft is getting back to building a user base through software.
I agree. I think the answer to their app problem is being solved and if they finally do away with those stupid (IMO) tiles and have a more uniform launcher along the lines of Android/IOS, folks will enjoy windows a whole lot more.

Upvote 0
I agree. I think the answer to their app problem is being solved and if they finally do away with those stupid (IMO) tiles and have a more uniform launcher along the lines of Android/IOS, folks will enjoy windows a whole lot more.
If it's running Android apps, and looks like Android, what's the point?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Will you be allowed to delete the "launcher" if you don't like it? How about not updating it?
Apparently 10 will allow neither - you can only delay updates on Pro version.

It will be interesting as both of the browsers (IE and Chrome) seem to have different ideas about security and updating on a PC. Google is probably far closer to all-around like Apple than Windows is.

MS is late to the tracking party since they gave up on Nokia, losing control and info about users. Most people I see on vacation have either an Android or iPad, not a Surface, and the desktop is static.

Upvote 0
I had a quick try of Arrow from the above APK download, rather reminded me of Yahoo's Aviate launcher. It didn't immediately make me think Windows or Microsoft.
Yup, you are right. And, when I posted a feedback in the private beta community that it lacks a lot of features, they asked me which features you want. I simply gave the link of Nova launcher and said that "Say the developer team to have a check on these features". I'll try to improve the launcher with necessary features. Two of my feature requests have been accepted. Let's see how much can I contribute to improve it. If you have an idea to share do tell me I'll post it there.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Yup, you are right. And, when I posted a feedback in the private beta community that it lacks a lot of features, they asked me which features you want. I simply gave the link of Nova launcher and said that "Say the developer team to have a check on these features".
Help me understand the point of asking Microsoft to copy what is perhaps the most popular launcher, because I truly don't get it.

What's the target?

Having Nova but with a Microsoft trademark?

What does this launcher bring to the table that Nova doesn't?

Your list of missing features was so big you had to quote a complete, working app?

Your description makes this sound like less than an alpha release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones