• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Microsoft building Android launcher??

Help me understand the point of asking Microsoft to copy what is perhaps the most popular launcher, because I truly don't get it.

What's the target?

Having Nova but with a Microsoft trademark?

What does this launcher bring to the table that Nova doesn't?

Your list of missing features was so big you had to quote a complete, working app?

Your description makes this sound like less than an alpha release.
I meant it for adding normal/common/most useful/addicted features which an Android user loves. So, now it would add widget support, adding/removing screens and hide apps feature. Do you want to compromise these most used features for a TM?

Upvote 0
Help me understand the point of asking Microsoft to copy what is perhaps the most popular launcher, because I truly don't get it.

What's the target?

Having Nova but with a Microsoft trademark?

What does this launcher bring to the table that Nova doesn't?

Your list of missing features was so big you had to quote a complete, working app?

Your description makes this sound like less than an alpha release.
For an Android user it is smooth and great. But in terms of features if it wouldn't support features which are common for an Android phone, then yes you can say it as a pre alpha.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't have to be a clone of almost every other launcher. You are trying to make this a Nova clone with a different name.
If you are going to help in the beta phase then use the time to suggest things that will make the launcher unique.
Help Microsoft make it different and uniquely theirs.
Definitely true. But, there are some features, (if not present) doesnt even make it an ANDROID LAUNCHER. For instance, if in the next update Android 6.0, it will allow only ONE HOMESCREEN. It's not unique! It's being stuck and lack of features. You have to keep in mind what users are using and what's helpful and also unique ideas.

Upvote 0
Well, an Idea which has been accepted is - "Adding a hide my apps" options in the recent section. That will be optional. It protects users privacy. If you unlock your phone near a friend and he/she finds an annoying app that you wouldn't want anyone to know. So, till now I've contributed to the privacy part. I've also suggested some unique features and some great ideas posted by other members too. But, I can't disclose them publicly :) Beta testers are helping as much as possible. And, if they don't introduce common features(useful/most widely used) then it will definitely affect it's popularity, just like NEXT LOCKSCREEN.

Upvote 0
I meant it for adding normal/common/most useful/addicted features which an Android user loves. So, now it would add widget support, adding/removing screens and hide apps feature. Do you want to compromise these most used features for a TM?
If you just said that it lacked widget support then you just said that Microsoft is clueless about Android launchers.

Is that true? Did that happen??

Reactions: Ankush Das
Upvote 0
If you just said that it lacked widget support then you just said that Microsoft is clueless about Android launchers.

Is that true? Did that happen??
Microsoft tends to start with a very small idea and then let the beta community's decide what to do. While their builds are crude at first "beta" release, they quickly grow and common things (widgets, multiple pages ect....) are added.
I wish I had time to test it but I'm so busy with football and work that I just don't have time to provide the right amount of input.
I'll be keeping eye on it though.

Upvote 0
Apparently some Xiaomi Android phones can switch from Android to Windows 10
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...fer-windows-10-conversion-for-android-phones/
No, that's Ars Technica exaggerating a story that had been hyped to death.

Not some Xiaomi phones - only the Mi 4 - and it's not just user switchable - it's a test program that is closed except for a select few.

It's not a user button to just run Windows, it's a conversion for the phones involved.

The test isn't to establish dual booting - it's an experiment to see how well the Chinese will like the Windows Phone.

Microsoft had already announced that it was limited to that phone, that market and for that reason by the time Ars Technica (along with others) misrepresented the entire affair.

Reactions: mikedt and MLSS
Upvote 0
My daughter has a Nokia Lumias Windows phone here in Tulsa, OK, USA. she chose it because of the "pretty colored skin on it with Butterflys"

so far, she says it "is just okay", but she tells me all the time how she is not able to get apps that her friends use on Android.
I asked her if she wanted me to replace it..... "No, it makes calls, it does SMS really well, the Voice turn-by-turn map works, and she can watch her online TV shows just fine.... that is all she needs.....

she is frugal and won't let me replace it.

Upvote 0
So far Win Phone devices like Nokia Lumias have been an abject failure here in China, from what I've seen. In the last year I've only actually seen one Windows phone in the wild, and that belongs to a Malaysian friend who's working here. Maybe Microsoft getting on board with a leading Chinese manufacturer may help it.
Windows phone has been an abject failure everywhere, IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones