Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Does Not Work 100%General

Last Updated:

1. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

BigDaddyFromCincinnati Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work with any other app other than "Touchdown"?
    I'm using "RoadSync" right now and it works about 97%.
    For people who use "Touchdown" how would you rate it?
    Is it worth the money?
    I still think it sucks the program that came with the phone does not work 100%.

Advertisement
  2. mimmic

mimmic Well-Known Member

I've been using the stock email app with my works exchange server since the day I bought the phone. What is your problem with it? You are just stating that it doesn't work, when I'm sure there's hundreds of people on this forum that have it working fine.

My calendar and email come through just fine. I have the contact syncing turned off as I don't need them on my phone.

3. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

Have you tried to "Reply" or "Compose" an email?
    That is where the problem is.
    From what people have told me on here the Exchange server requires a 4 digit pin.
    The stock program does not support that.
    I receive emails all day.
    I get my calender all day.
    I get calender alerts all day.
    But can not send an email or reply to an email.
    They just sit in the "Outbox" and never make it to the "Sent" box.
    The people never get the emails.
    The 3rd party apps I have tried work but I really would like this to work so I do not have to pay for one.

4. trevgriff

trevgriff Member

I have been using the stock email application since day one with the Eris without any issues. I send and receive dozens of emails daily via exchange without any problems. The stock email program works better than my Blackberry Storm did with BIS, now I get calendar and contact syncing without ever connecting my phone to my laptop.

I do not require a "pin" for my exchange, so that may be the difference, but that's something that I haven't run across before.

5. mpaquette

mpaquette Well-Known Member

I just received my Eris today. I'm going to try the stock email with Exchange sync and report back. The Exchange server I connect to requires a 6 digit password.

6. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

trevgriff does you exchange server require a pin?
    I agree the mail program looks and works awesome except for these 2 problems.

7. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

I just saw your post.
    Your server does not have that security feature enabled.
    That is why your phone gets it 100%.
    They told me good luck getting my IT dept. to take that security feature off my email account.

8. mimmic

mimmic Well-Known Member

It must be related to the PIN like you said. My exchange server does not require a PIN. Also, I remember hearing about a problem with some exchange servers requiring a user certificate to authenticate (instead of a PIN) and that problem was never resolved either. There is no way to add the certificate to the android platform at the moment.

So, as far as 3rd party apps go with the use of a PIN I'm unsure, but it seems like this is most likely an android problem rather than an Eris problem (however 2.0+ might work with these features and the Eris is on 1.5) I sure hope that update comes quick as I'd like to know if problems like this can be resolved. We are scheduled to recieve another update on Jan 22nd if I remember correctly but I don't remember what it's supposed to fix and I doubt it's the 1.6/2.0 update HTC mentioned.

9. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

I just called my friend who has the Moto Droid and to get hers to work her IT department had to disable the security and pin. Then it worked perfectly.
    I work for a law firm and I know there is no way they will do that. So it is not a hardware problem it is a software problem that even 2.1 has.

10. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

11. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

stmartin84

All I was asking in the first entry of this was if anyone has used "Touchdown" and if it was worth the money. Or if anyone else new of a different app.

12. stmartin84

Gotcha. Touchdown is a great app if you have to get around the security deal. I have used it in the past. Worth the money if you NEED that exchange email on your phone.

13. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

I guess I could grab the Exchange Email with my Gmail since that gets pushed to my phone but that would probably create a huge delay? I guess I will just have to fork over the $.

14. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

I know I'm a cheap ass but I hate paying for something that came on the phone and should work but doesn't.

15. stmartin84

if your exchange server supports email forwarding it would be the best option. There shouldn't be a delay at all. My exchange server doesn't do forwarding so I was going to buy touchdown for my eris, but I talked them into releasing the security certificate exception.

16. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

Thanks for everyones info.
    I will figure out something.
    I will probably go with "Touchdown" unless I can convince them to drop the pin with some beers or something.
    O'well

17. stmartin84

Crown goes a little further than beer, however the cost of the crown will offset the cost of the program. So my advice is just buy the touchdown app and a bottle of crown and you drink it.

18. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

It is almost New Years !!!!!!
    Thanks.