• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Microsoft: If you're tired of the Samsung vs iPhone fights, switch to Nokia

Upvote 0
You know, I've heard really good things about Nokia. I don't remember from who or in what regards... but I think someone once gave them praise near me.
*IF* I remember correctly (and keep in mind my memory sucks these days), I think my first cell phone was a Nokia. Or it might have been my second. I seem to remember a Nokia somewhere in there. And it must have worked fine, because I didn't need any repairs or anything.

That being said, I'm not really in a MS mood after their last smear commercial. Not only do politicians slam each other, but so do tech giants. :(
I can't stand smear campaigns, period. Not from politicians and certainly not from micro$oft. :mad:

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
I can't stand smear campaigns, period. Not from politicians and certainly not from micro$oft. :mad:
I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I don't like smear campaigns... but I do like commercials/ads with a bit of jest.

For example, I always found the Mac/PC commercials to be a bit amusing, though not accurate. And the DuckDuckGo ads against google I don't mind. They aren't saying 'google sucks', they are saying 'google does that, we do this.'

MS with their Bing Vs. Google ads, didn't really bother me either. Sure, it looks like they turn off stylesheets for google and keep 'em on for bing, but that's their commercial. Their 'Scroogle' ad I found very distasteful.

That being said, I do like the commercial/showcase where they (MS) compares their phone with random people's phone in terms of camera. "hey, this phone has a cool camera, maybe you should buy it," is the kind of ad I can get behind. [Though, I wonder, that's probably more of Nokia's accomplishment than Microsoft's...?]

:)

I guess it always comes back to the: different strokes for different folks thing. What works for one person might not work for another. Though, I do seem to find myself thinking the 'tile' interface on their phones (w7phone/w8phone) would be fairly convenient. But I can't ever seem to get behind it on my android device (with the w8 launcher).

/rambling ;)

Upvote 0
They can have my Android phone when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

.. or when I upgrade to a new droid ..

I wouldn't mind one of those Nokia phones if it comes with Android installed! :)

Amen!

Cannot understand why a failing hardware companey thought it would be a great idea to chain themselves to a failing software company - definitely the wrong kind of 'killer' idea. Well, I guess the billions the failing software company paid the failing hardware company helped, but still: kinda short term.

The latest Nokia hardware looks fine .. if only they'd put Android on it.

Upvote 0
Cannot understand why a failing hardware companey thought it would be a great idea to chain themselves to a failing software company - definitely the wrong kind of 'killer' idea. Well, I guess the billions the failing software company paid the failing hardware company helped, but still: kinda short term.

And it's that same lack of common sense that makes me steer clear of those companies. Those folks don't realize that the entire world is watching when they make stupid mistakes. Nokia had the perfect chance to embrace Android, but they turned down the opportunity and went with Microsoft. That was the day that I vowed to go back to pencil and paper before I would use a Nokia product.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones